Quality Carbon Monoxide Detectors for Scuba Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlecyt40

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I recently read a story from a FaceBook page called Scuba Accidents and Risk Management Techniques for Divers. In that article, they refer to a possible CO poisoning. They did make reference to a new nitrox detector that they DM on the dive was struggling to use. I don't know if it was O2 toxicity or CO poisoning. I have a O2 detector I am well very used to using. I am wondering if having a CO detector is over kill or if I should actually get one. I would like to know the following from the wealth of knowledge here:

A) is it necessary?
B) Which brand/manufacturer should I think about purchasing?

I am a DM and assistant instructor as well as a critical care paramedic in Missouri for 18 years and my wife is a master diver, critical care and cardiovascular nurse with 35+ years experience. We are both rescue certified. We really do not want to work a code in a foreign country. The closest we have come to this is a syncopal episode (near or total fainting) in a resort in Mexico.

To me it’s well worth the money. I use Palm CO when I travel. It’s small and easy to carry around. I calibrate it with known CO gas every 12 months.
IMG_5160.jpeg

One of the cheapest ones you can get looks like this. They sell on most online shopping sites.

It does seem to register CO levels in the presence of smoke, cigarettes, dirty engine rooms of liveaboards. Test it before you believe it.

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 08.58.23.png
YMMV

$400+ is steep though.
In your profile picture, you are wearing a seat belt. But you probably have never been in a head-on severe vehicle collision. So why do you wear the belt ?

PS. I test every tank for CO or I don't dive it.

Thank you.

Additional question: Do we need to test every cylinder or just nitrox? The story we read seems to more nod to the nitrox maybe being contaminated, but not sure.

In your profile picture, you are wearing a seat belt. But you probably have never been in a head-on severe vehicle collision. So why to you wear the belt ?

PS. I test every tank for CO or I don't dive it.
Because as a paramedic, I have seen my fair share of dead people that decided it wasn't necessary. Too late to say anything once your skull is crushed. However, I get your meaning..... Not lost on me.

Thank you.

Additional question: Do we need to test every cylinder or just nitrox? The story we read seems to more nod to the nitrox maybe being contaminated, but not sure.

Every tank. Any tank of compressed gas can technically be contaminated. It has to do with the compressor.

I too have a Palm CO. I was late to the game but now test every single tank. A CO analyzer is far cheaper than the ramifications from a CO hit.

Thank you.

Compressed air can be contaminated for various reasons related to the compressor, like the air intake and temperature. On the other hand, medical/aviation grade oxygen is less likely to be contaminated. So yes, I test every tank for CO when I travel. I don’t have to do it locally because my shop has multiple in line CO, CO2 monitors, so I know if the gas it’s ok.

this thread covers some options:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom