Quadra Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few weeks ago Dunc and I were at Seducers/Tyee/Blueback and saw a Cabezon sitting on an egg mass of that neon purple colour. The Cab was a different colour than others I have seen - grey/blue with purplish patches. It did not move - at first I thought it was dead so I got closer and when it moved I backed off quickly to let it be.

You mean this dude?

T640_tyee_012708_17.jpg

-S

You mean this dude?

-S

Looks more like a Grey Ling but hard to tell from the side. Cabezon are more stocky looking with a bigger head and larger botches/spots.

Cabazon.jpg

He sure is giving you the profile though. Nice shot.

Those are great pix. We stayed at Abysal a year ago September. Was just after our 15th dive or so and our first cold water dives. It spoiled us for any other cold water dives.
I got some pictures on that trip, but didn't get to see the wolf eel :-(

Those are great pix. We stayed at Abysal a year ago September. Was just after our 15th dive or so and our first cold water dives. It spoiled us for any other cold water dives.
I got some pictures on that trip, but didn't get to see the wolf eel :-(

We hadn't found the wolf eel in past years either so I guess Earl got tired of hearing us tell him it wasn't there and decided to show us personally. He swam right to the den and waited for all of us to have a look.

Looks more like a Grey Ling but hard to tell from the side. Cabezon are more stocky looking with a bigger head and larger botches/spots.

Cabazon.jpg

He sure is giving you the profile though. Nice shot.

My pic was of a ling guarding eggs at said location. Just wanted to rule it out from the info given. :)

-S

BTW. I was flipping through my Whelks To Whales and noticed that the Red Irish Lord lays pink to purple eggs. So could be Cabezon or Red Irish Lord eggs.

I had just finished university and made a trip to Quadra and Abysal a looong time ago. I just pulled out a photo (me nose-to-nose with a wolf eel, naturally!) and see it is dated 1987. Wow, twenty years!

Is Mike Richmond still running the show?

I had just finished university and made a trip to Quadra and Abysal a looong time ago. I just pulled out a photo (me nose-to-nose with a wolf eel, naturally!) and see it is dated 1987. Wow, twenty years!

I dove the Abysal back in 1993. Mike and his wife had a great lodge and operation. The diving was great...the food was fabulous...and the hosts were gracious....I do miss Mike's jokes.

I understand that he sold the operation to a couple that continued the quality operation but that was a few years back.

I have fond memories of the Island, this thread has rekindled a lot of them.

My understanding is that Mike sold Abysal and then opened up a new place a few blocks away and took a lot of his regular customers. :11:

Mike did indeed sell Abysal to new owners quite a few years ago. He then built a new house/lodge up the road, had a custom dive boat built and opened a new dive operation - Dynamike Charters.

He more recently built a new house in Campbell River and sold the Quadra home/lodge, but kept his boat. Last I heard from him they are retired from the B&B dive operation but will still take day charters out of Campbell River.

I've had many a fantastic trip with Mike out of the new (now sold) operation on Quadra.

-S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom