Q's a bout this wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody know what era this wing comes from and whether it is of good quality (not this one in particular just the model).
Picture131.jpg

Thanks,
Dale.

I have one. Mine will hold air for about a day, but it has a slow leak. I bought mine about 1980 or 81. My buddy used to make fun of me in his horse collar, but I loved not having anything in front. I don't use mine anymore, so I don't know if it would hold up to diving.

Here's mine.
SeaQuestBC.jpg

I have one as well and a very similar Sea Tec. I preferred the Sea Tec to the Sea Quest but both were essentially the same. All of these came from the late 70s to mid 80s, yours looks like an early 80s wing. Wings were not PadI approved during this era and more than once I was refused to allow to use it on dive charters in the Keys because it would not float me face up.

Yes, they work just fine, the main problem is the "taco" effect is pretty severe compared to a modern wing. I removed material from the center section of my occasionally used Sea Tec to reduce the taco effect.

76917260_o.jpg

a1604.jpg

72982135_o.jpg

My Sea Tec beside my Oxy 30 Mach V:

DSCF0136.jpg

Post vintage era but still fun. I have never used a poodle jacket. I graduated from nothing to horse collars and wings. Every now and then I get a hankering to get myself a nice poodle jacket but then I slap myself back to my senses. Kinda like these stupid carbon bicycles all the road weenies ride these days, steel is the deal, and poodle jackets are for dive weenies.

N

Sea Quest was a company establish by the late great Charlie Jelhe (S?)

For a number of years he had been the "Director of recreational sport diving" for Voit in Santa Ana California. In about 1971 he resigned Voit to establish Sea Quest (SQ).

His first office was a small corner in the Harry Ruscigno's "Sea Tec" facility which was owned by Joe Lamonica AKA "JBL" who was located in the adjacent building

One of SQ first products was a BIU which was designed and manufactured by Sea Tec--They are basically one and the same, Sea Quest & Sea Tec.

Charlie moved his operation from the Almond Street address in Orange to a location in San Diego county, I recall it was Solanda Beach. After a few years Charlie sold out and or retired and moved to Florida where he once again entered the diving business suppling Scuba cylinders to the Florida shops.

Charlie passed away about 5 or so years ago. Joe about 3 years ago. Harry last year see "Passings" August 17 Scuba board

Now you know..." the rest of the story"

You guys are great!

I didn't really want the wing but it came with the backpack for $10.

I bought the backpack to go with my horsecollar.

I put the backpack on my Catalina Al80 and noticed some paint bubbling.

I began peeling the tank with a razor blade and all the paint came off.

Now I'm going to repaint the tank.

That $10 is sure some cheap entertainment :D

Appreciate the "thank you"

Question:
Is the BIU a single or double bag?

The first models produced were single bags, later the double bag was introduced.

The originial double bags had some difficulty with bactera growth resulting in microscopic holes developing creating a leak path.
sdm

You guys are great!

I put the backpack on my Catalina Al80 and noticed some paint bubbling.

I began peeling the tank with a razor blade and all the paint came off.

Now I'm going to repaint the tank.

That $10 is sure some cheap entertainment :D

If your tank is just the grey heat treatment under the paint, you may like the look of just removing all of the paint and not repainting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom