PVC Tank rack question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talonraid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those of you who have made a PVC or foam tank rack with the rope connection to keep tanks from rolling around in your trunk or the bed of your truck:

How far apart did you space the noodles or PVC?

I don't have a tank to actually measure for the correct spacing.

Mine is made with a foam noodle and with shock cord and the measurement between the two foam noodles is 6" and between the inside of the two knots is 5.25". I had made some out of regular rope for other people and I am pretty sure that I tied one knot then measure 6" from the inside edge of the knot and put a black mark, then just tried to tie the next knot with the black mark either just on the inside edge, or even if the knot is right on top of the mark it would be fine. What you do not want is for them to be to close together (if you are using a foam noodel) because the stress between the foam and the knot will greatly shorten the life of the tank rack.

Good luck, they are really easy to do and extremely handy to have... I made a bunch last year at the end of the summer I found the at Big Lots for $0.25 a piece. I bought a bunch of them and made them for friends.

Phil

talonraid:
For those of you who have made a PVC or foam tank rack with the rope connection to keep tanks from rolling around in your trunk or the bed of your truck:

How far apart did you space the noodles or PVC?

I don't have a tank to actually measure for the correct spacing.

Tank rack, pvc, 5-tank.jpg

I used PVC of approximately 2" OD, cut 20" long. It happened to be the lightweight stuff for home central vacuum systems.

1/4" nylon rope.

1/2" vinyl tubing 5 3/4" long for spacers.

Makes a nice, snug-fitting rack.

Dave C

Thanks. I'm using 2" PVC cut to 24" lengths and 1/4" rock climbing rope...because it was on sale at Lowes. I think I'm going to have to tie knots in the rope though. Otherwise if I have fewer than four tanks (building mine to hold 4) I think the PVC tubes will just slide apart on the rope.

My next hurdle will probably be getting the rope threaded through the holes. I'm thinking I'll use some thin gauge wire and attach it to the end of the rope. Then thread the wire through the holes and pull the rope after it. We'll see what happens.

talonraid:
Thanks. I'm using 2" PVC cut to 24" lengths and 1/4" rock climbing rope...because it was on sale at Lowes. I think I'm going to have to tie knots in the rope though. Otherwise if I have fewer than four tanks (building mine to hold 4) I think the PVC tubes will just slide apart on the rope.

My next hurdle will probably be getting the rope threaded through the holes. I'm thinking I'll use some thin gauge wire and attach it to the end of the rope. Then thread the wire through the holes and pull the rope after it. We'll see what happens.

Good ideas, of course.

FWIW, the vinyl tubing prevents the spreading of the PVC pipes and even a single tank is held firm. The end knots prevent any expansion of the rack. The vinyl tubing has no where to go, so the spacing stays consistent.

Plus, it may be more secure because of the extra friction provided by the vinyl.

That might be a consideration on a smooth surface, like your truck bed.

It adds a little to the expense, but I think it was easier and more effective than knots to create the spacing.

It's just personal preference, as both methods of spacing work fine.

Dave C

How about using a bungee cord, not very strong elastic. Using strong elastic would not work since it would snap out, but using some light elastic that way it does not matter what sice tank you have, it should fit.

I used some black foam insulation to cover the plastic PVC.It cushions it a bit and makes it nice and snug!

Back
Top Bottom