Putting quick release buckles on old school weight integrated BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am using an old Sherwood Outback tech wannabe rear inflated wing BC that has integrated weights. It uses the velcro closures to hold the weight in place...Given the velcros don't hold the weights in so well, I have added a clip to the weight pocket's D ring and attach the other end to a snap buckle right next to the sleeve where the weight pocket slides into(strange place to put those things on a BC, maybe they were expecting people to do that. Anyway, the clip will prevent the weight pocket from dropping only after the velcro flap has given away and the weight pocket having slipped out of its sleeve. It has happened to me a few times already and I am glad I did that. Now my weight release is a 2 step process (pull weights out and unsnap buckle).

I could stitch new velcros into place, but it is really hard to get a sewing machine into the narrow slot of the sleeve (and using needle would be extremely hard since there is a plastic sheet for reinforcement on the outside of the sleeve). Can't convert the BC to one of those quick release ones since Sherwood won't sell me the clip attachments that's on the newer BCs.

Anyway, I wanted a solution that prevents the pockets from sliding out in the first place. I was thinking of sewing some 2 inch webbings to the outside rear of the sleeve (where there are more webbing) and attach a quick release buckle to it, then another webbing/quick release buckle to the flap of the weight pocket. Once the weights are in, I can snap the buckle closed so the velcro flap cannot open or fall out. Is this feasible? Anyone tried this before? I could probably use dental floss to do all the stitching.

Nobody every done it before? Have anyone added non-velcro integrated weights to their velcro integrated weights BC?

Can you post a picture of your BC and setup, I'm having a hard time imagining what's going on and can't find a pic online.

I will try to get pix. But it is just like one of those velcro intergrated weights that pulls out horizontally. Will add buckle to the weight pocket's velcro flap and to the outside of the sleeve for the weight pocket. Except the attachment point for the buckle will not be on the pocket itself but to the very rear of the sleeve, where there are some nylon webbings.

Can you post a picture of your BC and setup, I'm having a hard time imagining what's going on and can't find a pic online.

Here are pix of BC's cummerbund.

First pix shows the right cummerbund, which is mostly the weight pocket. Weight pocket insert is above (you can see the clip attachment I've added on it, which clips onto the opposing clip, which the BC mfg conveniently placed right next to the pocket...maybe they knew it would be needed?). There is 1 narrow webbing connected to the BC pocket, which is to limit how deep the weight insert could slide in. There is another wider webbing, seen attached to the backplate, which is the waist harness.

Second pix shows the same thing, with the weight pocket inserted.

So I thought the best way is to weave another nylon strap into that sliding retainer thing that holds the waist strap together and on the other end have a clip (this way, no sewing is necessarily). Plan B is to connect it somehow to the strap at the end of the weight pocket, either stitched or via some clip, ring (can't just weave into it since that strap has no open end). Then I'll put another webbing connected to the weight release handle's (the green handle) and have another clip on it (how I attach it is up in the air, either sew it onto the release handle's strap, or some combination of retainer clip, d-ring, SS ring..again, strap has no open end). And when I want to ditch the weight, I just unclip the clip and pull the weight release handle, which will open the velcro and drop the weights.

I just saw a scubapro BC, and their quick release mechanism doesn't look too different from what I want to do, except their strap is connected to the weight pocket, my will connect to the backplate or to the strap at the end of the pocket.

Attachments

• bc-weight-pocket-1.jpg
    bc-weight-pocket-1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 162
  • bc-weight-pocket-2.jpg
    bc-weight-pocket-2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 130
I see what you're saying now. Definitely in agreement with you on how to fix the issue. You could get regular plastic quick-snaps like on your waist buckle. Big ones (probably 2in). Probably need some light webbing too.

Sew the female portion on the outer portion of your BC's weight pocket holders, behind the velcro. Then sew the male portion (the side with the prongs) onto the velcro of the weight pocket insert itself, on the green handle side. (Similar to the current Scubapro models)
This way you have a velcro and clip holding your pocket in place. If the pocket has a tendency to fall out but still be clipped then get those real thin but stiff plastic cutting boards from Target or the retail store and cut an insert to stick into the pocket. This will give it rigidity to stay put.

For the clip, to make it quick release, grind down the male prongs a bit so all it takes is a stiff pull to unclip it. If you hold the male portion so the prongs are pointing up, you'll be grinding the flat spot underneath the pointy bit (it sits flush with the female end). Use a gummy stone to smooth the grind when you're finished. Do a very little bit at a time and evenly on each side; and test as you go. (I could photo shop an arrow pointing at the right spot if you're confused)

Instead of stitching the female portion buckle/strap to the outer portion of the weight pocket (as in scubapro), since there is a plastic stiffener inside already and I don't have any needle that could penetrate it. I was just going to connect it to the strap at the end of the pocket (or to the backplate) via D ring or weight keepers. Learned it from the backplate/wing world, where its all just looping of webbing and putting those weight keeping things to combine straps.

I don't have to have a one step quick release, since scubapro's looks like it is multi-step, and this isn't like a ski binding or ejector seats where you need instant release on demand.

Looks like that would work to. Just make sure you can comfortably reach back to activate the clip if need be.

Yeah..probably will have a longer strap coming from the rear so the QR buckle will be not far from the velcro pull handle.

I thought it was probably a far fetched idea given everybody's QR mechanism is internal and the pull action releases the buckle, but then when I saw scubapro's amateurish solution, I thought my is not too bizzare after all.

I wouldn't go so far as the say that. The ScubaPro quick release system is the same concept as all the other manufacturers. The only difference is theirs is a whole lot stiffer to pull-to-release compared to the others and they place the release mechanism externally.
When you think about it, they've added a fail safe. Should a pebble jam the release when you pull, you can go in and manually activate it by pressing the clips in.

The usual quick release system really is just normal quick releases with the tabs filed down to assist in un-coupling when you give it a hard pull. Now admitting though, it's pretty much impossible to yank the Scubapro ones out unless you're the person in the BC. The clips they use are so stiff that they make it really secure.

So I would still suggest filing down your tabs a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom