Putting Macro Lens behind Dome Ports, Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes but Alex's dome port is not the typical dome port but rather a custom job that might be very hard to get nowadays.

The flat port will give you an additional 25% magnification, just as your mask does. One of my combos is a 16-85mm with a diopter correction lens to match dome port. This is fairly versatile for both wide and good close-ups. I can also use the 16-85 zoomed out with the same Ports I use for the 105 macro. I get better magnification (about 100mm) than with the domed port and better depth of field this way - and no danger of scratching the dome. Of course, if you zoom back too wide, you will get the sides of the port in the photo, not necessarily a bad effect - you get a round frame around your subject. Here is a sailfin blenny I just shot in the Caymans with the 85 and flat port set-up along with a crop.

Attachments

• DSC_3331nef-2.jpg
    DSC_3331nef-2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_3331nef-2crop.jpg
    DSC_3331nef-2crop.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 42

Back
Top Bottom