Push/No Push

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidfish

Registered
Reaction score
Sory for a real newbie question, but can someone tell me how to set up my camera to 'push' a film before I go out tomorrow to try it?

I mean, I understand it is in the developing - develop it a bit more, stuff gets lighter.

BUT, in practicality, does this simply mean that I should set my Nikonos V to 200 film when I am using 100 film and continue as I would normally, and just tell the film developers to push it 1 step?

thanks
:confused:

Basically yes this is what you do. But if you are doing it with color film and then having it developed by a 1hr shop it wont work(at least the shop I worked in was not capable of it). Somebody that hand develops color film can probably do it but I could never get it right, due to the critical nature of the temp and time factors.

I frequently pushed 400 to 1600 or 1600 to 3200 using black and white film(for night-time sporting events). Then I developed it using the protocols established for the 'pushed' speed. It will definitely increase the grain in the film (may or may not be acceptable to you).

Thanks Jim.
I use a pro lab here, so I think they'll push my provia 100 no worries!

Will see how it goes (winter here in NZ now, so light not the best), 'cos I want to use less strobe and more naturals.

Nice forum you guys have here, I must stick around a learn some, a nice change from the extremo apnea sites I normally frequent.

What is the max speed of film that Nikonos capable of using? I have found that since Fuji started making their 1600 or 3200 speed (color)films, pushing wasn't really the best option IMO (as it usually produced more grain to push a lower speed film than to just use the higher speed to begin with).

Hope this helps and that I'm not being obtuse or redundant regarding what your planning on shooting.:wink:

I've no idea what max is.

I just want a little help on the poor natural light side of things really. Buffs here told me that switching to 200 or 400 will make it grainy regardless, and most seem to push by about 1 stop. Thought I'd give it a go.

Reidfish once bubbled...
Sory for a real newbie question, but can someone tell me how to set up my camera to 'push' a film before I go out tomorrow to try it?

I mean, I understand it is in the developing - develop it a bit more, stuff gets lighter.

BUT, in practicality, does this simply mean that I should set my Nikonos V to 200 film when I am using 100 film and continue as I would normally, and just tell the film developers to push it 1 step?

thanks
:confused:

Push processing film simply develops the film longer to compensate for underexposure. One way to underexpose is to set the asa/iso film speed dial on a Nikonos to the next higher speed (i.e., a one-stop push) and expose normally. If you're using an external meter to determine the exposure, you could also just stop down the lens one stop or double the shutter speed to get the one stop underexposure.

As others have mentioned, you'll need to work with a lab that's a little more capable than you're average one-hour photo store. Push processing is easy, but most automatic developers aren't set up to do it, and don't want to do anything out of the ordinary. If you're going to be doing any serious photography, you would do well to find a good photo lab in your area. A good place to start is www.photo.net (it's also a very good general resource for photography).

"Buffs here told me that switching to 200 or 400 will make it grainy regardless"

balderdash! the new films have very fine grains ( even in 800 iso)
'pushing' a film brings out the grain anyway (it also increases the contrast) so you might as well use a faster film to start with.

if your shooting E6 stuff - they don't push more than a stop ( at least not well).
since your asking this Q i assume your not a pro. if not Don't shoot E6 (slide film)
stick with good quality color neg - it has a broader range the E6.

Hello,

Rule of thumb, the more you push the grainy it becomes. It's normal to run 100 speed film at 200, with b/w film this will increase the contrast and give it that pop, esp tmx.

I would not drastically push any film on the market today, the results will not be pleasant.

There's a difference in pushing film to a higher iso and using a higher iso film.

What I do is shoot all tmx film, in the am i'll use 100 iso, in the evening i will use 200 or 400 iso, subject depending.

Ed

Listen to James. I like to shoot negative film because it has a greater exposure latitude and I like to make reprints without an interneg. When Kodak came out with 400asa Royal Gold, I never looked back (except shooting macro). Unfortunately, Kodak has discontinued this film, but I have had good luck with the Portra VC. There is no need to push process unless you wanted faster film and forgot to pack it. I have tried 800 and 1600 film and have settled on 400 as being the best compromise of speed and grain. Good shooting.

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom