Purple Nudibranch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am trying to identify a purple critter I saw saturday at the Panama CIty Jetties. Unfortunately I didnt have my camera handy.

-about the size of your hand
-saw it crawling over the rocks in panama city florida, saltwater, surge zone, about 2ft deep, daytime round 3pm
-shape was essentially a full oval, about 2 inches hi, tiny stalks all over, 2 eye stalks in front, deep purple all over, maybe a lighter shade purple on top than around the bottom

heres a kinda crude drawing

Attachments

• nudi.jpg
    nudi.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 108
-about the size of your hand
-saw it crawling over the rocks in panama city florida, saltwater, surge zone, about 2ft deep, daytime round 3pm
-shape was essentially a full oval, about 2 inches hi, tiny stalks all over, 2 eye stalks in front, deep purple all over, maybe a lighter shade purple on top than around the bottom

Sounds like some kind of sea hare (from the description Bursatella leachii, perhaps) ?

Some kind of flatworm?
I dont think so. It wasnt small or flat enough to be a flatworm, according to what Ive read about them. Some sort of slug it seems.

The size of my hand is about 200 mm (8 inches) long. And 50 mm height (2 inches)? Not many slugs are that large, it seems like that alone should narrow down the possible matches considerably? Could it have been a bit smaller, say around 150 mm? Your comment regarding the lack of visible gills (fronds) on the back could also be a clue, although they may have been retracted for protection when you saw the slug.

After a couple hours trying to find a match, I'm still not sure enough to make a guess which species you found. But very curious..Good luck!

Yeah, teach me to have a camera handy. Ive been looking through books and havent come accross it yet. Maybe its somethign unique. Im pretty sure its some kind of slug now. Possibly a side gill slug? Order Notaspidea.

Maybe this, but purple - http://www.ianskipworth.com/photo/d70uw/d70953/DSC_0019.jpg

MAde me get the Reef ID book finally.

Hi, I'm sorry that I am a little "message challenged" on Scubaboard, and just found your message.
I will send you examples of slugs so that we can narrow it down. Fisheye is on the right track.
go to:
Selected Opisthobranch Mollusks From Florida Waters
and look at: Pleurobranchus areolatus ,
and the ones starting with ,
and then look at Discodoris evelinae, this will help us narrow it down.
Anne

Back
Top Bottom