Puri Island, Pulau Seribu (1000 Islands) Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FairyBasset

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from a whirlwind business tour of Asia, which left me in Indonesia over a weekend - with enough time either side of flights to get myself underwater!

Thanks to some recommendations I received here on Scubaboard, I managed to book myself a quick dive trip just outside of Jakarta on the 1000 Islands (Pulau Seribu), at Putri Island. I booked through Kristal Klear, who offer different trips each weekend:
Kristal Klear Dive Shop in Jakarta, Indonesia

Kristal Klear are basically almost like a tour operator, they organise your gear, rooms etc, but they do not have a DC out at Putri. I think the Instructor (Andi, very nice Indonesian guy) works for them though, as he seemed to be doing open water exams with KK students.

We left Ancol harbour on Saturday morning at around 8am, arriving an hour and a half later a Putri. It was really sad to see the brown (rather than blue) sea around Jakarta and the amount of rubbish floating in the open water. It does get better the further out you go, but even at Putri, on the far outskirts of Pulau Seribu, there is still so much junk floating around.

We couldnt check into the rooms on arrival - check in wasnt til 1pm. So we had to leave all our gear in an open room, which was a bit concerning, but apparently they put a guard infront of it (!).

So... our first dive was about half an hour after arriving on Putri!
Dive site was Mata Hari, on an island close by.
Water was 30°c, medium viz. I was buddied up with a really nice lady and we dived alone with no guide.
Basically it was a drift dive along the reef and we were picked up by the launch at the end of our dive. The current was steady but not particularly strong.
Parts of reef were pretty broken and dead, but parts of it were really nice.
Saw plenty of things, from crown of thorns to nudibranches, lots of baby sponges growing in beautiful colours, some box fish etc. No shoals of fish though.

Got back in time for the buffet lunch. It was ok - it tasted better than it looked - thank God - as it looked AWFUL!!! Every meal was similar from that aspect... dont come here expecting a gourmet Indonesian food experience! It was nice to see the big monitor lizards guarding the entrance to the restaurant!! There was some other interesting wildlife on the island too. They also have some bizarre aquariums with enormous sweet-water fish... not sure why really!

Had to skip the afternoon dive as urgently needed some sleep! I had paid for a single room. The room was very big, the bed was huge and extremely comfortable, bathroom was basic but fine. There was TV and aircon. It wasnt luxurious, but it was clean and comfortable and perfectly OK if you are not looking for something glamourous.

Did 2 dives on Sunday. First was a drift dive most of the way around a small island off Putri. The current was really strong, so speeding was great fun! The reef there was good, saw plenty of stuff from clownfish, starfish, nice sponges and corals etc. The viz was fine, water was 30° and so it was a great dive.

2nd dive was off the pier at Putri. They have sunk some old aquarium structures to make an artificial reef which was teaming with fish and had plenty of coral growing on it. The water was pretty murky here, but the artificial reef was really nice.

We left at around 2pm to come back to Jakarta, after another "delicious" lunch!

All in all: The trip was (as we had already been told) very expensive for what it was.
I paid 3.4 mio rupiah for the trip, single room supplement, food, diving plus gear rental (= circa 300 EURO / 380 USD). The accommodation and food was average. The diving was pretty nice, but definitely not the best you will see in the region. I was told that a company called Divemasters in Jakarta does the same trip for quite a bit less money.

However... I was on a business trip, so it was the perfect way to relax over the weekend, as any day diving is better than a day in meetings or on a plane! So I would recommend if you are in the same situation I was in, to do a weekend trip with Kristal Klear. Its far better than wandering the shopping malls or catching up on emails in your hotel room!!

Happy Diving!

:balloons:

Attachments

• PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0012.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 113
  • PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 139
  • PICT0024.jpg
    PICT0024.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 69
  • PICT0031.jpg
    PICT0031.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 88
  • PICT0035.jpg
    PICT0035.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 112
  • PICT0037.jpg
    PICT0037.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0038.jpg
    PICT0038.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0040.jpg
    PICT0040.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 179
  • PICT0042.jpg
    PICT0042.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 73
  • PICT0050.jpg
    PICT0050.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 174
  • PICT0053.jpg
    PICT0053.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Glad to have you had a nice experience at Thousand Island. For us the Indonesian, it is largely an overlooked dive spot, with Bali is just 1,5 hours flight away.
Did KK tell you that not far from the reef where you took your second dive lies a rather large wreck ?, its quite nice, covered with lot of corals, and remnants of its cargo is still strewn around. Just don't compare it with Tulamben of course.

The reason I dived at Pulau Seribu was precisely because I only had a weekend and would not have been able to dive if I had had to fly somewhere else. I needed to go somewhere that was only a short boat trip away from Jakarta, as I had meetings til late on Friday and again on Monday morning.

I had been told the diving was not good at all in the 1000 islands, but to be honest I didnt think it was too bad. I saw plenty of things I had never seen before, like a furry urchin (no idea of name), beautiful sponges etc. Yes, the water was fairly murky but it was still nice diving. I certainly have dived far more uninteresting spots! Its a shame it gets a bad rap really.

I was aware of the wreck, but I missed the second dive as I was so tired.

If I have to go back to Jakarta on business I might try the KK weekend liveabord to Krakatoa . that sounds fun too!

Sounds like you had a good time and went with the right attitude. Hope you dont think I steered ya wrong :). I understand your ideas about food on Putri- which is why I am such a fan of Tiger Island. Nonetheless, Putri is by the the best place for diving in terms of service and convenience. Anyway, I am glad you had a good time.

Sounds like you had a good time and went with the right attitude. Hope you dont think I steered ya wrong :). I understand your ideas about food on Putri- which is why I am such a fan of Tiger Island. Nonetheless, Putri is by the the best place for diving in terms of service and convenience. Anyway, I am glad you had a good time.
Matts1W - thanks your infos helped me the most - you didnt steer me at all wrong. Other than the fact I couldnt find any rum anywhere!!! But the Bintang did the job just fine!

I had written to Tiger Island but got no reply, thats why we went to Putri (which I misspelt in the heading and now cant edit, oops!).

As you know those islands well, maybe you can tell me what that furry urchin thing is called - I posted a picture! Thanks!

Sorry, I misspelt Putri in the heading and now I cant seem to edit it.

Last edited:
Those fire urchins are pretty cool, eh Fairy? The ones I've seen have been purple and red and grow pretty large.

BTW, even way out in isolated islands by Komodo, we found beaches filled with trash at the high water line. I guess it's just how the currents carry it around. Such a shame, eh?

Mike... you seem very knowledgeable!!! May be you can also tell me whats the name of the starfish like thing I photographed, and those white corals and the green corals! Thanks very much!!

Shasta... yes, I was really happy to see stacks of things I have never seen before on that dive. I was particularly fond of my furry urchin shots and now I know what they are, I am particularly happy I didnt touch them! Same goes for the crown of thorns which I saw first in dec in Thailand, didnt know what it was though. A few months later was talking to someone about crown of thorns probs in polynesia and so googled to find out what it looked like... only to discover I had some nice photos of them! And yes... the junk is an unbelievable shame!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom