Purge or no Purge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDiveGirl

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to get a new mask as my old one has been thru the ringer and is beginning to leak (maybe it always has...)

I've noticed some have purges (more $$$) and some dont. Whats the advantage of having a purge - is it necessary?

Thanks for the advice!

Well, obviously, if you've had a mask without one, then its not necessary.

Their main purpose is to prevent you from reaching your nose so you can equalize, and leaking.

MechDiver once bubbled...
Well, obviously, if you've had a mask without one, then its not necessary..

OK, poor choice of words... Is it something that would make my life easier???

NJDiveGirl once bubbled...

Well, I've never seen the need for one. I suppose if you had one of those faces that no mask would fit well so it leaked all the time, it might be useful. I seldom have to clear my mask so it woudn't be to me. I also like extremely low profile masks and they don't have purges.

MD

NJDiveGirl once bubbled...

It Depends On What You Like. I Prefer No Purge Becuase For Me It's Easier. But If You Like Purges That's What You Should Get :). I Know What I'm Telling You May Not Help You To Much. But I Thought I Would Lot You Know What I Thought.

PadiSoCalDiver

The main advantage of a purge valve is that you really do not need to clear your mask the conventional way. You just exhale out your nose and all the water that is on the bottom of the mask gets dumped. The disadvantages are, that if something gets stuck in the purge valve (IE sand, dirt, snot, or what ever) then you have a nice leak going. It can cause problems equalizing. At least those are the only things I see different between with and without purge.

On a side note, if you have a sneezing attack, your friends will laugh their back side off.

I agree with hambleto, the one clear disadvantage with a purge mask is that something could get stuck and cause problems. But you can avoid this with proper maintenance before and after your dive.
I use a mask with a purge. Bought the mask when I started snorkelling. Didn't see the need to change it when I had my lessons. I'm still using it but I have extra mask without purge.
My wife uses a mask without a purge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom