Purchasing your first dive computer. A non-technical approach.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The computers I usually use cost $120 used (about $225 new). For $1,000 I would expect to get a new drysuit, not just a dive computer.
I like having things that work just fine, but that can be lost, broken or stolen without my needing to terribly upset about the loss.

That makes perfect sense.

If I have a grand to spend on computer, I will buy two cheapies with gauge mode and save the rest. And I want to go to tech in the future I would use the money that I had saved and buy deco soft ware and a slate.
Alternatively, follow the old GUE route and learn Ration Deco.

IMO the choice of computer brand or model for a new diver is almost meaningless in terms of improving dive enjoyment, unless of course the new diver is more interested in what's happening on a computer screen than in the water around him.

What IS important for new divers is to learn as much as they can about basic dive behaviors and risk for DCS, and learn to conduct their dives appropriately. The only thing computers do is provide dive data and make very subjective calculations in 'precise' ways that can give someone the illusion of safety or of risk.

New divers are taught to rely on their computers WAY too much IMO. And intense discussion about which computer is 'better' only adds to that. Far better for a newish diver (well, any recreational diver, really) to focus on planning profiles that minimize risk, executing those profiles accurately, and use the computer to 'confirm' that you're more-or-less sticking to your plan. Combine that approach with nice long shallow stops and good post-dive behavior.

To me, this is good news for new divers. It puts them in control of their safety and dive enjoyment, not an overpriced feature laden device. And while in depth deco theory is very complicated, the relevant aspects for safe, enjoyable no-deco diving are not, and understanding them is easily within the abilities of practically any new diver.

Part of the problem, and this is true with regulators as well, is that dive instruction is typically offered by dive shops whose primary motivation for offering classes is to create a market for their gear sales.

IMO the choice of computer brand or model for a new diver is almost meaningless in terms of improving dive enjoyment, unless of course the new diver is more interested in what's happening on a computer screen than in the water around him.

What IS important for new divers is to learn as much as they can about basic dive behaviors and risk for DCS, and learn to conduct their dives appropriately. The only thing computers do is provide dive data and make very subjective calculations in 'precise' ways that can give someone the illusion of safety or of risk.

New divers are taught to rely on their computers WAY too much IMO. And intense discussion about which computer is 'better' only adds to that. Far better for a newish diver (well, any recreational diver, really) to focus on planning profiles that minimize risk, executing those profiles accurately, and use the computer to 'confirm' that you're more-or-less sticking to your plan. Combine that approach with nice long shallow stops and good post-dive behavior.

To me, this is good news for new divers. It puts them in control of their safety and dive enjoyment, not an overpriced feature laden device. And while in depth deco theory is very complicated, the relevant aspects for safe, enjoyable no-deco diving are not, and understanding them is easily within the abilities of practically any new diver.

Part of the problem, and this is true with regulators as well, is that dive instruction is typically offered by dive shops whose primary motivation for offering classes is to create a market for their gear sales.
I obviously can not speak for anyone else, but in my case, buying an Air Integrated dive computer contributed greatly to my enjoyment of a dive and allowed me to see much more.

By stepping up to an AI dive computer, I was able to use the cmptr as a form of near real time bio-feedback. If I started to see my Air Time Remaining was starting to drop, then I would go a little shallower, or I would slow down my pace (or my breathing). Both of these would allow me to extend my bottom time and would increase the enjoyment of that dive and of the sport in general.

It didn't take long before I noticed that my bottom times were getting longer, and I was able to see much more than I would before I got the AI cmptr, and I attribute those directly to the info that the AI dive computer was providing me and then altering my behaviour to get a result I wanted. The process all started though with getting that feedback from the computer.

. . .
By stepping up to an AI dive computer, I was able to use the cmptr as a form of near real time bio-feedback. If I started to see my Air Time Remaining was starting to drop, then I would go a little shallower, or I would slow down my pace (or my breathing). Both of these would allow me to extend my bottom time and would increase the enjoyment of that dive and of the sport in general. . . .

I guess that "near real time bio-feedback" was sort of fun to see, but you could have gotten feedback on your air consumption all the same simply by watching your SPG, albeit to get the same sense of how depth, exertion, etc., affect air consumption, you would probably have needed to do many more dives. After enough dives, a diver does acquire a feel for how his air consumption is affected by depth and exertion level. After hundreds of dives, a diver doesn't need to look at a computation of "Air Time Remaining"--he has a pretty good feel for what the number is.

I think @halocline has a point when he suggests there may be a diver who is "more interested in what's happening on a computer screen than in the water around him." I think a lot of people today just like technology--or at least feel extremely comfortable with it--and it's almost unnatural to them NOT to have a screen to look at. They want the smartphone, they want the smartwatch, they want a "smart" dive computer.

To me, one of the attractions of diving, like hiking in the woods and some other things I enjoy doing, is the opportunity to escape from electronic technology for an hour or so. The dive computer is just a necessary evil to me, and the less I need to look at it, the better.

I guess that "near real time bio-feedback" was sort of fun to see, but you could have gotten feedback on your air consumption all the same simply by watching your SPG, albeit to get the same sense of how depth, exertion, etc., affect air consumption, you would probably have needed to do many more dives. After enough dives, a diver does acquire a feel for how his air consumption is affected by depth and exertion level. After hundreds of dives, a diver doesn't need to look at a computation of "Air Time Remaining"--he has a pretty good feel for what the number is.

I think @halocline has a point when he suggests there may be a diver who is "more interested in what's happening on a computer screen than in the water around him." I think a lot of people today just like technology--or at least feel extremely comfortable with it--and it's almost unnatural to them NOT to have a screen to look at. They want the smartphone, they want the smartwatch, they want a "smart" dive computer.

To me, one of the attractions of diving, like hiking in the woods and some other things I enjoy doing, is the opportunity to escape from electronic technology for an hour or so. The dive computer is just a necessary evil to me, and the less I need to look at it, the better.
And that is why I started with the part that you cut out. Specifically "I obviously can not speak for anyone else, but in my case ...".

I also had a hosed air integrated computer as my 1st DC. I agree. The ease and combination of seeing everything together at a glance, was comforting and helped me relax. Being hosed, I did not have to worry about forgetting to bring/wear a wrist mount DC or have to do an additional step of synchronizing.

After diving with it for 15 yrs, I bought a new computer, non AI. Being a comfortable, confident diver, I no longer need the benefits of AI.

And that is why I started with the part that you cut out. Specifically "I obviously can not speak for anyone else, but in my case ...".

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that you cannot speak for anyone else, so I didn't quote that caveat. For the record, I obviously cannot speak for anyone else, either. :)

Yes, you MAY but things twice...

If you stay in diving you will buy things twice, if not because you want something else, what you have will wear out. I've always bought what it took to keep me diving regularly, over the years I acquired what I wanted, and more, but it took time.

i wonder sometimes if people resopnding even read the original post before suggesting the 1000 dollar computer for the 10 day a year recreational diver

Anyone from the second page on probably didn't, those responders on the first page usually have a better track record. It is quite frustrating as a reader interested in answers to an OP's question to read some responses, I could imagine the frustration of the OP.

For the record, I obviously cannot speak for anyone else, either. :)

I can speak for others, but do not have their permission or am in any way interested in their opinions. Kind of like most posters on the Internet.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom