Purchasing Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surfsidedav

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A buddy of mine found some used tanks at a closed dive shop. He's thinking about getting a few to save $ in the long run by not having to rent tanks. While I agree, the effort required to haul it to the LDS to get filled, then to the boat, then back home makes the tank rental seem reasonable. Do most of you guys own your own tanks or just rent them? Seems it would take alot of diving before you hit the break even point.

I own 8, but renting is not a reasonable option. My nearst LDS is 45 miles away, the next one 50 miles. The shops in Panama City are normally not open in the morning by the time the boat leaves.

If you can rent cheap enough, and the shop is close enough & open hours that work for you, renting tanks isn't so bad.

to me it depends on two things:

1. How much do you plan to dive? A: as much as I can
2. Do you want to have to freedom to dive whenever you get a chance? A: Yes, if I can dive this afternoon I am going.

I have two tanks and my buddy has two tanks. And they are pretty much always full. So when the weather is nice the boat goes in the water and we are off diving. We don't have to make sure the shop is open, compressor is working, taking back tanks, etc..... I am sure that once I get Nitrox cert. I will pick up a few more tanks. Personally I don't think a person can have too many tanks.

My dive buddy has 6 tanks. I have 2 tanks and I'm looking for more. Why? Well it's a Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor mindset, i.e. you can never have too many tanks.

There is a LDS about 1 mile from my house (my truck knows the way by heart) but I still prefer to own instead of rent tanks. Because when I get that unexpected call from someone on a Sunday, "Hey I'm going diving and need a buddy. Can you go?" I don't have to say no because the LDS is closed on Sunday and I can't rent tanks.

The other thing is being able to purchase tanks not normally available for rental. If you want a larger or smaller than usual tank, or a steel tank, then it might be smarter to purchase.

surfsidedav:
A buddy of mine found some used tanks at a closed dive shop. He's thinking about getting a few to save $ in the long run by not having to rent tanks. While I agree, the effort required to haul it to the LDS to get filled, then to the boat, then back home makes the tank rental seem reasonable. Do most of you guys own your own tanks or just rent them? Seems it would take alot of diving before you hit the break even point.

For me, I own 2 tanks, but it depends on where I am diving if I'm going to even use MY tanks. If I'm doing a beach dive locally, I'll use my tanks... If I'm driving somewhere for an overnight trip, or with more people than just my wife and me... We rent tanks from the dive op. For me, the choice is purely because we drive a convertible, and we just don't have the room to lug tanks, gear, and luggage anywhere. If you're looking at it from a purely $$ standpoint, then you'd have to calculate how much it REALLY costs you to rent tanks from your dive op. If you're only paying $5 per tank per trip... It will probably cost you the same to get your own tank filled.

Do you shore dive? or just from a boat? Those are important questions too..

I have two HP-119's. You can't easily rent them up here. Plus, I like the freedom of having my own tanks. I don't have to worry about when to get them and when to return them. For me, it wasn't a matter of them paying for themselves. The payoff was immediate. I don't know that I'd purchase AL80's unless they were cheap or I was going to double them up. But steel tanks, that's a different story. I also have a set of LP-121's that haven't gotten wet yet.

Since I am working on my trim/buoyancy, I want to use the same tanks all of the time and I like the bouyancy characteristics of the 119's better. In fact, I don't see the 121's getting wet up here at all... I'm shipping to my buddy in FL and I'll use them down there when I visit (he can use them in the meantime).

I like having all of my own gear. I know how it is taken care of and I know that I can get to it whenever I want to. Hard to put a price on that.

Best of luck.

That is another factor: What tank do you want to dive with?

Most rentals are AL80's. If you want steel tanks or consistant access to a different size AL tank, you pretty much need to buy them.

Renting a steel tank from my LDS is $15 for the weekend. Figuring a $5 charge to refill owning a tank will pay for itself in less than 25 dives.

Besides, the last time I dove I rented tanks from the LDS where I was diving, instead of where I live. (250 miles away) By the time I finished my dive the shop had closed!!! Fortunately I work for a statewide organization and found a coworker in the area to drop off the gear the next day.

Bill B.

Consider your tanks like a video from blockbuster. After the movie do always return it on time? Say that day or the next? After a long day of diving going straight home is a welcome thought, not worrying about having to return the tank the next day is a big +. Being able to dive at a moments notice is worth every penny. Owning a single tank with more air capacity thus more bottom time or one that better fits your style of diving can be more rewarding than the standard Al-80. I went with E8-119's. If I were a petite woman or teenager I would opt for a small pst 80, which is half the size and weight of an Al-80. Better to wait and make an informed decision if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom