Purchasing a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIBs are pretty light, though, and have little draft. My boat is heavier than a RIB, and draws quite a bit more water. It also has a cuddy cabin and a cockpit under canvas, where one can get out of the wind and rain!

RIBs are pretty light, though, and have little draft. My boat is heavier than a RIB, and draws quite a bit more water. It also has a cuddy cabin and a cockpit under canvas, where one can get out of the wind and rain!

you need to decide what you want the boat to do :D before you buy a boat is it for short runs ? long runs? overnights ? if you will be on it for a few days ? do you need a cabin? ac? will you be trailering it or docking it ? If trailering you have weight issues and width issue you need to be concerned about all questions I would be asking myself before buying a boat I bought my boat not knowing all this now I love my boat but I would have gone bigger with an AC if I knew then what i realized now take your time buy something that will fit your need

It all depends on how fast and how far you want to go.

So, how fast does your 30HP Zodiac go with 4 divers + doubles? Should I break out the high-speed camera or a radar gun? Or should I though a lines off the stern with knots tied every so often and count like in the old sailing days?

That was my point. What are you doing and where are you going that requires 50hp per diver?

The Zodiac is not blistering along at 500kts but with four divers we plane without a hitch and get to our destination in a reasonable amount of time.

The posts on this thread are reading like "if ou don't have 200hp forgetabboutit!" Which I was pointing out is not the case.

That was my point. What are you doing and where are you going that requires 50hp per diver?

The Zodiac is not blistering along at 500kts but with four divers we plane without a hitch and get to our destination in a reasonable amount of time.

The posts on this thread are reading like "if ou don't have 200hp forgetabboutit!" Which I was pointing out is not the case.

I don't know where the op is but here in FL we dive mostly in the Gulf of Mexico its 20miles out just to get to 30' and 30 miles out to 50'. Most of our diving is 50-60' and if we can get good weather its nice to run deeper.

Where we dive out of the Atlantic it is 15-20 miles out to our #'s

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've decided to pass on the Aquasport and have found a Proline 24' CC with twins for a reasonable price. It should work out pretty well for my needs.

And ShakaZulu, thanks for policing the internet and pointing out that I have the same post in two forums. I apologize for breaching forum etiquette in an attempt to get as many points of view as possible.

You really should follow the three F's rule.

If it floats, flys, or f _ _ ks, ............... rent it!

the 24 will be way better than the little one.like 10X improvement for what you are are hauling .... dive buds. And motor redundancy is a great security blanket when your offshore.

bigger is always better:D when you are way out in the ocean.

You really should follow the three F's rule.

If it floats, flys, or f _ _ ks, ............... rent it!

The problem with renting any of these is then you know the true cost of the er... activity. It is much easier to enjoy stuff when you are under the illusion that it is less expensive than reality.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom