Purchase scuba gear online - Canadian duty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rarely get hit with duty when using USPS but almost always have to pay the HST (our sales tax).

When items are shipped USPS it is hit or miss if I get charged HST or brokerage although recently it has been more hit than miss. Brokerage seems to have gone from $5.00 to $10.00. Don't even think of using UPS unless you like surprises. I also use a service in Niagara Falls NY where I can pick up items and then declare them at the border. Sometime you get lucky and they are busy and just wave you through other times you get sent to the office to pay the HST. This can be a big saving when US companies provide free shipping for domestic orders or are unwilling to ship USPS because of potential tracking issues. I use CBI USA | US Mailbox Rental & US Shipping Address Services

Thanks all for the advices and comments. I also tend to support LDS where items are available and prices are reasonable, but sometimes you can actually get some very good deals from the US online shops and some Toronto / GTA LDS don't have the items in stock and need weeks to order.

So consensus is USPS is the way to go if going down the cross border route. Driving across the border is not really an easy option for Toronto based buyers, unless huge value of transaction...

I am in Toronto and find that if I am buying multiple items from different stores then it is worth heading over to CBI. If it is just one or two items then ya not worth it but if there are a few and all have free shipping then it is worth it. Nice thing about CBI is that they will hold the items indefinatly so I will make a trip over every few months and pick up my packages

I often buy online for different items from the US - scuba gear, automotive parts etc
Everytime I do, I use a service near the border and go and pick it up myself. I disagree with the comment about it not being worth it, if you live in Toronto - all it takes is 3 hours for a trip there and back and the cost savings can really be recognized if you make a large purchase. For example, I just bought gear from DRIS. They offer free shipping for orders over $150 - my order was shipped for free and the mailbox service I use charges $5
I leave Toronto with a quarter tank of gas, get my package and fill up my gas tank for 95¢/L
The savings in shipping cost ($20) and fuel really add up...

Orion.ca is the service I use - in Lewiston

If you are doing a large number of purchases each year take a look at CBI and their annual program. You might be able to save yourself some more if you are paying 5$ each right now

CBI is 6$ each parcel or 108$ for the year plus 1.80$ per parcel

I ended up getting a yearly setup this year due to the amount of computer and camping stuff I was picking up

I often buy online for different items from the US - scuba gear, automotive parts etc
Everytime I do, I use a service near the border and go and pick it up myself. I disagree with the comment about it not being worth it, if you live in Toronto - all it takes is 3 hours for a trip there and back and the cost savings can really be recognized if you make a large purchase. For example, I just bought gear from DRIS. They offer free shipping for orders over $150 - my order was shipped for free and the mailbox service I use charges $5
I leave Toronto with a quarter tank of gas, get my package and fill up my gas tank for 95¢/L
The savings in shipping cost ($20) and fuel really add up...

Www.orion.ca

I have been using CBI in Niagara Falls for a couple of years but this week used Cross Border Pickups | Local Toronto Pick Up for Cross Border Shopping – Shop the US within Canada
It provides a US address but they will bring it across the border and deliver it to their location in Mississauga. They take care of customs and brokerage and charge only a small per package price. They will also ship it to your home address if you are not in the Toronto area. The total cost for a small package was $7 cdn plus the taxes due on the items. When a vendor will only ship UPS this is a good option.

Or, you find someone you can trust who lives on the other side of the River.... and visit them...

Back
Top Bottom