Purchase decision driving me batty. Please help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackbay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I just typed up a wonderfully detailed post and accidentally closed the tab :censored: so here goes round 2 and I'll try and keep this short.

I'm in the market for a new computer. I'm a little time and cash constrained with the trip of a lifetime coming up and having just purchased all the remaining bits and pieces I used to rent, as well as upgrading my camera setup. I've been overthinking buying this and could really use a second opinion.

What I'd like: Wrist mounted, in the $250-450 range, works with Nitrox and in freediving/gauge mode. Can be used as a backup if I change my style of diving in the future. The perma-buddy uses a Mares, so an algorithm similar or at least not significantly more conservative. A user-replaceable battery would be great and finally, can be set to metric and ships to Switzerland.
Nice to haves: Works with a bungee mount, More than one button(!), decent PC interface and log.
Not interested: Air integration.

My LDS can help me with Shearwater, Divesoft, Scubapro/Sub gear and Apeks - of those, the Subgear XP-3G stood out. Apparently this series was previously sold under the Uwatec and then SP brand. If anybody has experience using that, I'd love to know your thoughts. Alternatively, I considered the Aeris Manta (what with the 'merge' with Oceanic, I'm not keen on risking parts and service issues down the road) and the Hollis DG03, but I read somewhere there had been a recall. I don't know specifics.

Thanks so much for the outside perspective, it's much appreciated!

SubGear XP-10 is worth a look if you don't need to have the 3 gas capacity of the XP-3G.

Thanks for the tip. I don't right now, but I think I didn't consider the XP-10 only because I wanted to use it in gauge for freediving as well.

How about an Oceanic Geo 2.0? Does all you want for $400 U.S. http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/computers/geo-2-96/
Powered by Oceanic's Exclusive Dual Algorithm™ - Your choice between Pelagic DSAT (Spencer/Powell data basis) or Pelagic Z+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C data basis)

With Dual Algorithm and optional conservative factor settings, the GEO 2.0 may be programmed to provide no-deco and deco profiles similar to virtually every computer on the market.

4 Operating Modes: WATCH (Alternate Time, Chrono, Daily Alarm, Countdown Timer), NORM (Air and Nitrox), GAUGE (with run timer) and FREE (tracks calculations to allow switching between NORM and Free)

Now available with metric system.

Optional PC Interface with OceanLog Download and Settings Upload

No idea if there's a bungee mount for it...and they get $90 for the download cable/software.

If you can get a Shearwater Petrel for $450, can I get one too please...:wink:

Leisurepro is a dealer and ships worldwide. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocnge2/oceanic-geo-20-wrist-computer

The DG03 was recalled in 2013. The newer models all have the revised version 1B firmware. http://www.hollis.com/news/cat/notices/post/dg03-voluntary-recall/

Dive Gear Express has the best price I've seen on the DG03 ($250) and the bungee mount for it. And they ship internationally. https://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml

Last edited:
If they can swing it.. The Apeks Quantum (aka diverite trio) is an awesome little computer that is a 3 button, bungee mount computer that should be around 250. The Hollis DG03 sucks, don't even get me started, I would stay away from any oceanic brand computer as they have a couple REALLY annoying features.

The Cressi Giotto is modeled off of the trio and is another solid choice

+1 on the DG03. Been diving it before and after the 1B upgrade. I don't use the wireless, but for a basic, multi-button rec computer (it does 3 gas if you want it) it's been trouble free. The DGX deal with the bungee mount it sweet. YMMV

What are the annoying features?

If they can swing it.. The Apeks Quantum (aka diverite trio) is an awesome little computer that is a 3 button, bungee mount computer that should be around 250. The Hollis DG03 sucks, don't even get me started, I would stay away from any oceanic brand computer as they have a couple REALLY annoying features.

The Cressi Giotto is modeled off of the trio and is another solid choice

What are the annoying features?
I would like to know the issues with the DG03 as well. I have over 100 dives on mine and it has performed flawlessly. Again, I don't use the wireless capability, so if that's your beef, so be it. Otherwise, please be specific so I know what to look out for... Thanks.

Well this might be a little long...
First: If you're getting close to NDLs at depth, it starts blinking and beeping at you saying "HI NI UP" when I first saw this it looked like a violation. It wouldn't stop beeping either. We ascended from 100 to 60 feet as planned to continue our dive for another 20 minutes, well within NDL limits as we had ascended and the thing was still beeping "HI NI UP" even with 23 minutes NDL left. After that I turned off the audible alarms but I was worried that that would make me miss something big. It was still flashing at me whenever the nitrogen loading bar got into the 6th window. I know I was near no deco times but it's advertised as an intro tech computer.

Second: It's an intro to tech computer with no control over the gradient factors for deco.

Third: if you miss a stop for some reason or jump to a backup ascent plan (missing gas) it locks up without recalculating itself.

Fourth: the backlight button is a pain in the butt with gloves on.

Fifth: in gauge mode there is no seconds counter on the run time, Just minutes.

Sixth: there's no average depth on the log.

Seventh: it starts beeping at you when you get within .2 of your max ppo2. Let's say I was doing a nitrox dive at 100ft and I was running a 1.4 max ppo2 at 100ft.. Well when I got to 1.2ppo2 I would get an alarm saying "HI O2 UP" it's like I set my max at 1.4 for a reason. Stop yelling at me at 1.2. I wanted a higher PPO2.

Eighth: Hollis service sucks unless you know who to ask for.

Ninth: it has user replaceable batteries but if you misplace the special Hollis device forget about getting the batteries out.

The ones that really bug me are 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9.

Because you are in the EU you should be able to find the apex quantum pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny how two end users can have a completely different experience with a product. Both valid, just different. The only issue I've encountered from your list is the unit being conservative with warnings approaching MODs. I did turn off the audible alarm for that reason, but the screen warnings cycle at a high enough rate that I can still see all the necessary diving info. I will say the Hollis logging software that comes with the unit is a buggy mess, but I use Subsuface for logging. The Hollis software works ok for firmware upgrades and for setting up the computer without all the button punching. My only dealing with Hollis support was a call to customer service prior to the 1B firmware upgrade. I just wanted to be walked through the process prior to the actual upgrade. They were helpful. I've replaced the battery in mine, fortunately I hung onto the tool. Thanks for taking the time to post the list. I'll keep an eye out for the other issues. Happy diving. :)

Back
Top Bottom