"punctured lung"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps you should write to Gary Gentile, author of numerous diving books, with that question. He was shot through the lung in Vietnam and became a tech diver, diving the Andrea Doria and Lusitania. I believe he is also full cave certified in addition to being a Trimix instructor.

In fact, the healing from a pneumothorax often involved adhesions to the chest wall and renders that area of the lung LESS likely to have further problems.

What one does not want to do is to encourage a diver with an anatomical or metabolic problem which strongly predisposes to pneumothorax to dive. A significant anatomic problem (congenital bleb or "blister" on the lung) will be picked up by the scan. The major genetic problems (alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, connective tissue disorders) will be picked up with a family history, and a personal history of more than a single manifestation of the disease.

Many people with a significant smoking history would not have normal high-resolution CT scans of their lungs, but nobody is out there telling them they can't dive. There is rational risk assessment, and then there is liability-paranoid risk aversion.

miguel sanz:
Getting Shot Is Not A Contraindication For Diving

Well, he had a big puncture of the lung from a bullet. Punctured lung is the topic. If he lived in a country which requires medical exams to certify, would he be allowed to dive? He claims that he doesn't have a good SAC rate because of his lung. He's also been bent several times.

i AGREE WITH TsandM.
In Spain, it´s required to have a medical exam. I would have sent him to my reference center and he probably would have passed.
What I ment was that a traumatic neumotorax is not a CI by itself

Back
Top Bottom