Pumpkin Carving Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a few already said - pumpkins are pretty bouyant. Bring weights. With ours, we cleaned them out in advance. The visibility is usually bad enough without making it worse with the pumpkin guts floating around. Prior to going into the water, put some rocks in the pumpkin. If you got time, you can experiment before the dive in shallow water and put enough rocks in the hollowed out pumpkin to make it neutral. Keep in mind that it will get a little negative as you carve. Little serrated pumpkin-carving tools appeared to work best, but they might be hard to manage if you're wearing thick gloves in cold water. For non-complicated designs a dive knife should be sufficient. We didn't have any problems. Glow sticks make the pumpkins look very cool, especially at night. Definately something you will want to bring along. As for designs, you may want to get a pumpkin stencil book (one of the guys on our dive had a little paper-back, you rip out the stencils and trace them onto the pumpkin using a marker or something with a sharp point. Hope you have fun at your pumpkin dive, we had a blast at ours!

-Roman.

P.S. see this thread for a report on the NELD pumpkin dive that we did last weekend :)

hey guys!

The Dive Shop of Flint, is having their annual pumpkin carving dive THIS Sunday morning at Lake Fenton, starts at 10:00. $20.00 will get you a pumpkin to carve, hot food and drinks and a good time. Call for details (810)732-3900.

I know this, because I provided the 60 pumpkins that will be carved, got a used AL80 and part of a dive computer in trade....(by PART of a dive computer, means I had to pay the difference....)

Tell them that Frankenmuth Tom, the Pumpkin man gave you the info.

:wink:

IM SO EXCITED.....
tomorrows the big day!!!
I've made a little something special for my pumpkin. I just have to think of a way to smuggle it down, he, he, he :devious:
I'm a potter and have made a clay fish tail to stick in the pumpkins mouth (make him look like he just had dinner) - evil pumpkin:evil:

Thank you one and all for your great tips. It should be fun!!
Barb:)

Hey Barb.....I am going to rat you out to the officials.....(if you are disqualified it leaves more prizes for the rest of us).:wink: We have picked out a special pumpkin just for you ......it will take at least 20lbs of lead to get it down.

Our group had their pumpkin carving contest today. What fun.

We only had two entries though.

We got a five year old girl who wasn't part of our group to judge the pumpkins. It was great.

One diver came up after carving his pumpkin wearing a warewolf mask. Pretty cool.

THANKS ALOT BUBBLE BOY !!!!

You No-GOOD-DOUBLE-CROSSING @#$%@$# .
Thanks to you I had to endure the humiliating experience of a full body cavity search!!!! Just so I could win a T-Shirt (that does'nt even fit me) ......just kidding:D
My buddy and I had lots of fun.
I would like to know who ratted me out.
I trusted my scubaboard buddies to keep my plotting a secret.
So Bubble Boy was it you???

" endure the humiliating experience of a full body cavity search":doctor: anything for attention:kissy:

I just went on my first u/w carving expedition this weekend. It was a lot of fun. We however gutted the pumpkins before we went down to carve them and I think that was a pretty good idea, otherwise all that crap is floating away in the water. The coolest part was the night dive with the carve pumpkins. Most lit their pumpkins up with glow sticks, I lit mine with an u/w safety light that I won at a raffle. It was a lot of fun, and I lok forward to it next year.

Back
Top Bottom