Pulsing Ear After Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biking4ever

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey,
can you share your experience with whooshing, pulsing noise after diving?
It was extremely wavy boating to the diving site and maybe 10 min in the water waiting for all ppl to get ready to descent. While descending nothing unusual, equalizing all good. After, I couldn't clear the water from one of my ear. Working on it for some days and got this pulsing noise after that. Went to see GP, he saw some kind small crust on near the drum but nothing ales going on.
All the best,
B4e

I use ear dry. It's basically rubbing alcohol with a little glycerin in it. Seems to cut down on post dive ear issues.

Good luck, hug a kangaroo for me!

Jay

Foster's Australian for BEER!

Ear Beer Recipe - 1/2 Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl at 90%) + 1/2 White Vinegar

Mix the alcohol and vinegar in equal amounts, get horizontal with the ear in need up, add several drops to the ear in need until excess solution runs down your face, lay there for at least five minutes until the solution reaches body temperature. remove solution and repeat process. Should work, or at least get your ear drunk.

Sounds more like an inner ear problem than something to be fixed in the ear canal. Years ago I had to have some kind of crust pulled off my eardrum by ENT. Don't wish that on anyone. I remain surprised that nothing of the sort has ever occurred again in the past 15-20 years.

I use ear dry. It's basically rubbing alcohol with a little glycerin in it. Seems to cut down on post dive ear issues.

Good luck, hug a kangaroo for me!

Jay

Thank you guys for trying to help, I'm gona give it a go and hug a kangaroo which maybe a bit hard to do it but you never now,
Cheers
B4e

Thank you guys for trying to help, I'm gona give it a go and hug a kangaroo which maybe a bit hard to do it but you never now,
Cheers
B4e
What he described as "ear dry" is called "ear beer" in the States. Use it after every dive - a few drops, hold for 15 seconds, and then the other ear.

The alcohol binds the water, and the the vinegar restores the ph balance to the ear so it doesn't over-dry.

However, if your doctor didn't see an infection, there may be another problem.

When you say "pulsing", do you hear your pulse? Or is it the pulsing of the eardrum like it is blocking and releasing quickly? I call it, "fluttering".

When you say "pulsing", do you hear your pulse? Or is it the pulsing of the eardrum like it is blocking and releasing quickly? I call it, "fluttering".[/QUOTE]

Hi,
thanx for your input, I appreciate it. By pulsing I mean sound/noise whooshing as my pulse comes, fluttering, yes. I'm second day into the ear beer
Best regards
B4e
ps.
regarding the kangaroos, very strange animals. They always jump onto incoming vehicle. I was dirt biking the other day (in tasmania) and this poor guy (smaller kangaroo called wallaby ) collided with me. From nowhere, just a hit. We were lucky actually as he bumped me onto my right d.biking boot which took the impact as it is thick/ cushioned. Impact was big and threw me to the ditch, he got knocked down and laid on the road for 1 min, than got up and was gone. If it is a car they are not so lucky.

When my ear did the 'fluttering' thing, none of my 'regular docs' could figure it out. After a bit, though, he saw fluid behind the eardrum, signifying an inner ear infection. Some people feel pain, some have an eardrum spasm.

Make sure your doctor keeps an eye on it, and if it does develop into an inner ear infection (ear dry / ear beer don't affect it), make sure they note it in your file. That way, if it re-occurs, they and you can recognizes what the symptoms are indicating.

A run of antibiotics took care of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom