Pulmonary Barotrauma with Short Interval Shallow Freedives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes very interesting what has taken place. It's the sum of all the negative factors that create the anomaly. Good to know that other than the cardiac issues IPE/SIPE resolves itself. There's no "bursting" of the alveoli, just a leakage. Allowing for the condition to correct itself.

On a side note, I was an engineer for Intel corp. and had extensive troubleshooting experience. The human body can be analyzed like semiconductor equipment. Just that it's the most complex machine there is to analyze. I won't say that I have successfully analyzed my injury. However based on what you have provided I have some idea of what's going on.

Thank You once again

You are most welcome. It's self-correcting to a point, but I wouldn't say that the lungs are back to normal, so to speak, once symptoms disappear. There could still be some microscopic capillary damage and alveolar damage if the condition progresses far enough.

Best regards,
DDM

On a side note, I was an engineer for Intel corp. and had extensive troubleshooting experience. The human body can be analyzed like semiconductor equipment.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Dude, I run computers for biochemists and other life scientists... no. Every other line of code is an exception.

Yes I'm going to give the damage some time to repair. Had not realized the other important tissue that could be damaged. I.E. the capillaries supplying blood to the alveoli. No doubt there could be some tears in the capillaries from the over-pressure.

You are most welcome. It's self-correcting to a point, but I wouldn't say that the lungs are back to normal, so to speak, once symptoms disappear. There could still be some microscopic capillary damage and alveolar damage if the condition progresses far enough.

Best regards,
DDM

Hahaha there is no end to the complexities involved. Especially if you factor in pharmacology.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Dude, I run computers for biochemists and other life scientists... no. Every other line of code is an exception.

This evening I took another swim with 7 mil wetsuit. About 1/4 kilometer with 3 descents to the bottom. This is the 3rd time with wetsuit swimming every other day. The pool is colder now (55 F). I feel the cold through the wetsuit.

No sign of any lung involvement at the moment. I'm no longer primarily testing the cold water hypothesis for IPE. It's obvious now what effect cold water can have to induce IPE. I am however back to my cardio exercise routine.

My intention is to condition the femoral arteries. Keep my fitness up for swimming. Without stopping throughout the winter season. The pool is available up to 10:00 PM every day for residents. No one will be using the pool other than me in the cold weather.

That means the water will not be chlorinated and will have some debris in the bottom most of the time. The filtration does keep water clarity optimal for great visibility. Just don't drink it. I have slight fatigue at the moment with a bit of runners high.

That means the water will not be chlorinated and will have some debris in the bottom most of the time.
It will be chlorinated, or it will be green.

There is the possibility that the pool is chlorinated. However I can not detect it by smelling the water. The pool is extremely large. Sort of an angular Olympic sized pool. It has about 24 water jets around the perimeter. The surface is slightly choppy as a result. It's well lit from inside in the evening.

Put in 1/4 kilometer with 3 descents. I'll keep up this routine as long as I feel my fitness level progressing. The water felt just a little colder. I can feel it's icy temperature through the wetsuit. However nothing like the sensation of doing it without thermal protection.

Still being cautious with exposure to avoid lung involvement. Just no sign of that at all presently. And as would be expected I feel warm enough after the 3rd lap around the perimeter. My stamina was excellent considering I not too long ago suffered the nasty IPE injury. The lungs are certainly showing resiliency.

Once again a nice runners high for about 30 minutes.

Still being cautious with exposure to avoid lung involvement. Just no sign of that at all presently. And as would be expected I feel warm enough after the 3rd lap around the perimeter. My stamina was excellent considering I not too long ago suffered the nasty IPE injury. The lungs are certainly showing resiliency.

Did you by any chance take a blood thinner like aspirin before your incident? ISTR at least one report had the triathlete "feeling a bit off" and taking an advil or some such before the race.

Infrequently I have taken aspirin. I avoid taking all of the over the counter pain killers in general. I suck it up for any exertion related muscle pain. Today is another swim day. But I have a business meeting that could pre-empt that swim.

I'm not on an extreme swim schedule anyway. Air temperature as I write this 45 F. Brrrr. even with a wetsuit that water is going to be more than brisk even with the 7 mil wetsuit. I will get out if I hear any abnormal sounds with my breathing. Now that I expect it to happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom