Pulau Weh+Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carena

Registered
Reaction score
Any ideas on how much would it cost me to go to Pulau Weh from Langkawi for about 3 days and do 4/6 dives during the stay and then go to Bali for a week and do a few dives there, considering if I stay in budget accomodation? I want to know how much should I take with me for the whole trip: food +dives+ accomodation+transportation?

For transportation, you can check airasia for route langkawi - KL - banda aceh; then banda aceh - KL - bali. You may get very cheap price, but mostlikely have to overnight at KL. Banda aceh to p weh by is not much if using public transportation.
Budget accomodation start from $20 up. Diving, depend on location 50$ - 100$. You can get better deal for packages.
Meal - street food stall (if available) start from 1$, but if you have no choice, at least 4 $ for budget resort's restaurant.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if you can go there by ferry? It doesnt seem to be far from Penang.

I checked lumbalumba.com and according to what it says there you can find an accomodation starting from 3 euro (USD 4.50), that's a lot cheaper than what you say. When was the last time you've been there?

When you say the budget accomodaton starts from $20, are you talking about Pulau Weh or Bali or both?

Seem not very far on map, but I guess still more than 500 km. To my knowledge, no ferry from Penang.
Never been to p weh, but several time visiting banda aceh for work when I live in Indonesia. BTW, I was planning to visit p. weh and having some correspondence with my brother working in aceh; I postpone my trip as I can't find good resort suitable for family - I have no problem w/ basic accomodation but not my kids.
The 20$ figure is for accomodation at sabang incl. breakfast. I am not sure if you can get accomodation at less than 5$ now, even for very basic accomodation at Iboh. Many people there complaining about the prices keep increasing due to the tsunami recovery projects; although most of works is in main island. More and more people visiting aceh and p weh.

I've read on this forum that there's no Visa On Arrival at Banda Aceh for western nationals (is this true?), so maybe arrange a visa beforehand in KL, or fly into Medan.

40,000 to 80,000 Rupiah is the general price range I've paid for budget accomadation in Bali, all depends on what you're happy with.

My question would be is Pulau Weh worth going to? I have heard some good things about it, but not alot of press? Which might be good

You can get a ferry from Lumut on the coast of Malaysia to Medan, in North Sumatra. From Medan you can get a night bus to Banda Aceh and then the morning fast ferry from Aceh to Sabang.

Getting from Sumatra to Bali is probably best done by air, given the distances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom