Pulau Aur - report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traminer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys... just got back from Pulau Aur in Malaysia this weekend and eager to share my first dive report!

The weather was great. Vis was average-good all weekend. There was some current at the sites on Sat but no shark/manta sightings. Managed 6 dives (incl 1 Sat night dive) over Sat/Sun. Rayner's Rock was great on Sun dawn with no currents, saw a black tipped reef shark and some huge lobsters but no pelagics. Lang was fantastic with the cuttlefish mating season in full swing! Spotted a couple of females teasing the poor hovering males after laying their eggs on top of some hard coral.. :)

All in all, Aur seems to be a inexpensive option if you want a quick dive no-fly weekend from Singapore. The dive op I was with, Friendly Waters, had taken steps to reduce the travel time from Singapore as the bus used the faster Second Link to Malaysia and we had boarded their boat from Tanjong Leman; hence avoiding the midnight chaos in Mersing. Friendly Waters also manages the Diver's Lodge, which seemed to be the best option for accomodation with ensuite facilities if you don't mind sharing a room with 3 other people. You can't do better for Aur or Dayang as the other "resorts" are supposed to be dorm style i.e. 8 to a room!!! :wink:

Photos of the mating cuttlefish didn't come out too well as I was way too excited for some reason.

Hi Traminer , Glad that you had a good time at Aur...let's see....WHAT!!! YOU SAW A SHARK!!:dropmouth I been there a number of times and i havent seen a shark!:new_puppy and you saw it. When i go Aur i normally stay at Atlantis Bay. They have dorm style and also ensuite chalets.

Looks like i went at the wrong time...i went on the season's 1st trip up to aur and had moderate swells.But i had fun too. This won't be the last time you will dive at aur.:D

It seems that i always attract triggerfishes instead of the good stuff:bluthinki

Safe Diving and Peace out
Darren

Traminer, pls post you photos quickly! I have never been to Aur yet (quite turn off by the long boat journey, am I correct?).

But I heard due to the distance, the viz is quite good. Any gorgonian sea fans? Any peculiar fish you spotted?

I missed one trip there and gonna miss this coming weekend trip with my buddies...

do hope they can spot the shark.

Yeah...it does happen between March to April but you gotta be lucky really lucky. How's the water temperature then? Rayner's rock do have currents. Did you manage to try pinnacle 3 or 4 or even 5? Not alot of operators know of the spot. There are actions where you may like...I like the feel of doing a dive with currents..usually there are actions...school of jacks that is..but that was 3 years back..not sure about now.

Don't recall any sea fans. We didn't dive the Pinnacles.. most of the leisure divers were quite new and most of them couldn't handle the currents on Sat at Captain's rock. Rayner usually has some current but it seemed calm at dawn on Sunday. Which was bad because no currents = no pelagics.. :fro:

My photos didn't turn out too well, first time trying out this camera and didn't get the flash settings right. There was a nice little porcupine fish.. (about half a meter long!!!). Saw like 4-6 mating cuttlefish which were stunning. There was also a huge rockfish in the middle of Rayner's Rock..

Back
Top Bottom