Pulaski woman dies at Mystery Lake Scuba Park - North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divers who have heard the conventional wisdom that dehydration is a risk factor for decompression sickness
Yeah, and we hear a lot of quotes from chamber doctors who tell the hit divers that was their cause, perhaps because it makes them more popular than if they said they didn't know. I appreciate vacation destination doctors who help the stricken, divers or not, and I understand the relieved patient looking up to his attending physician and his/her advice, but often there are better sources.

From DAN: State of Hydration | Decompression Sickness - DAN Health & Diving
Dehydration gets a substantial amount of attention in the lay diving community as a risk factor for DCS, but probably more than is warranted. Sound hydration is important for good health, both for general and for diving health, but for your dive profile, thermal stress and exertion level are far more important risk factors for DCS. The undue focus on dehydration is probably a result of two issues. The first is that substantial fluid shifts can result from DCS, often creating a need for substantial fluid therapy and creating an impression that this was a cause, rather than a consequence, of the disease. The second issue is human nature — the understandable desire to assign blame for a condition that is capricious. DCS is fickle. A diver may adhere to a similar dive profile many times without incident but then develop DCS while following the very same profile. It is comforting to try and identify a single causal agent, even if this is more wishful than factual. It is important for divers to realize that a multitude of factors can subtly affect the risk on any one dive and that there is a probabilistic nature to the disease. Focusing on a range of strategies to reduce risk is more effective than trying to put all the blame on one.

I am just playing the odds based on her age
At 49? Okaaaay.

I was in my 50s when I finally moved from snorkeling on vacations to scuba diving and dive trips. I guess I've been scaring everyone since.

People start dying of heart attacks in their 40s and even 30s. I know a guy who was 49 and dropped dead from one just weeks ago. It’s the point on the curve where the numbers start to ramp up.

A 49 year old woman dying of a heart attack is not common but no unheard of. Especially amongst smokers.

I won’t rule out the IPE hypothesis. But I am just saying how common are heart attacks in 49 year old female divers vs IPEs? I am betting heart attacks are significantly more common.

I gotta say, the old divers are the only ones that act completely surprised when people assume an accident is 'age/health' related. I read this forum religiously, and although I haven't counted the numbers exactly, most of the time it starts with....'diver x, 50+ yada yada yada....' Just saying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom