Puerto Vallarta??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TopazHome

New
Reaction score
I just got certified (and just joined this forum) and am trying to arrange my first dive trip. My first choice is Cozumel, but am having difficulty scheduling the dates. Can anyone tell me about diving in Puerto Vallarta? Dates for that trip are working better, but I want to make sure Puerto Vallarta would be a good dive trip before committing.

TopazHome:
I just got certified (and just joined this forum) and am trying to arrange my first dive trip. My first choice is Cozumel, but am having difficulty scheduling the dates. Can anyone tell me about diving in Puerto Vallarta? Dates for that trip are working better, but I want to make sure Puerto Vallarta would be a good dive trip before committing.

TopazHome

Try doing a search on puerto vallarta in the Mexico forum under North America. Welcome to the board.

Chuck

I'm a relative beginner. About 45 dives. Four different trips to Cozumel. One week on Grand Cayman. Three days diving in Puerto Vallarta and two days diving in Costa Ricca on the Pacific Coast. I would recommend anything in the Carribean over the Pacific Coast. The water is much clearer. The Pacific Coast gets a lot of runoff from the Mountains/Hills and the vis isn't nearly as good. I doubt that I would bother to take my gear back to the Pacific Coast. Puerto Vallarta is a nice town. Beautiful scenery. But they have very agressive time share sales people. Even grocery employees will pull out a brochure. Ugh. I'm going to Playa del Carmen for a family reunion in June for a week and will be taking the ferry (cheep) over to Cozumel for some diving. I may even try Playa. Good luck on your first trip.

I just got back from PV a month or so ago. The diving is okay, not spectacular. But I wouldn't let it turn you off completely. There is so much to see and do in PV besides diving, if you're into that.

If you go, I highly recommend Pacific Scuba. Quality dive op, nice people, and they run a good dive. For those not familiar with the area, their dive boats are very different from what we have here. I think they call them pangas. Long and narrow. I enjoyed them, but others might feel funny if they're used to 45 foot, fiberglass decked out dive boats. You just don't see those in any of the dive ops in PV.

I would also recommend Pacific Scuba if you go to Puerto Vallarta. Very good operator and very good equipment. Diving is not as good as Carribean, but you may get lucky and see a Manta Ray. Anyway, we just got back from PV and had a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom