Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conditions were ok yesterday at Los Arcos

Very little swell and fair visibility.
Above the thermocline 72F , below the thermocline (from 30 feet down) 66F.
Visibility from 30 to 40 feet.

Marietas

Fair conditions with better visibility and water temperature around 68F to 70F under the thermocline.

Going to Chimo and the south bay tomorrow, shooting some pictures and scootering a bit.

Happy diving this long weekend !!

Attachments

• IMG_9610.jpg
    IMG_9610.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9613.jpg
    IMG_9613.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9616.jpg
    IMG_9616.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9622.jpg
    IMG_9622.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 65
I got my Open Water certification dives in this past week in Puerto Vallarta. We did the first two at Majahuitas and Caletas, and the last two at Los Arcos. It was all very exciting and interesting but Anibal our instructor was great. Not only did he manage to educate me on the finer points of diving but he was always going above and beyond; for example spending a 1/2 hour with me after the last dive to show me how to use dive tables.

I'm looking forward to going back to PV and getting back into the water as soon as I can scrape together the money again.

And a shout out to Natalia, the other guide, and Moy the eagle-eyed captain who spotted humpbacks, huge manta rays and dolphins.

Good day at sea and diving this past Saturday,

Chimo, Majahuitas, Arcos
Three dives and three different sites.

Medium swell and a thick plancton bloom in the shallows and mid depths, better viz beyond 70 feet.

Low temp of 64 F under the thermocline, 72 F at the surface. Same all over the south portion of the bay.

Turtles, humpbacks, mantas, different species of jellies, Tambja abdere nudies and of course the famous Popeye catalufas that I really enjoy watching.

UW images by Alfonso Trujillo.

Attachments

• IMG_8823.jpg
    IMG_8823.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8818.jpg
    IMG_8818.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9693.jpg
    IMG_9693.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9691.jpg
    IMG_9691.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8858.jpg
    IMG_8858.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0338.jpg
    DSC_0338.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I had the chance to dive with Scuba Diver Mexico on Nov 8th . My wife and I even had the pleasure of having SDM as our personal guide (you can kind of see me on the far side of the boat) on our first dive at Los Arcos.

On top of the chinese hat nudie, he found a flat worm, a minuscule blennie and another microscopic nudie. So a very interesting dive creature wise.

It was a good dive, even though we were not quite prepare for the cold water (even though it had been posted here...). So 5mm wetsuits and hoods, we were warm enough during the first dive but a bit cold during the second one.

Unfortunately, we missed the humpback we were down for our second dive.

So if you're in PV look up VallartaUndersea, they'll take good care of you!

I would like to do a dive at el banco

You can do that , it is best done with 32 %.

It is about 60 NM from Marina Vallarta and just south of isla Maria Cleofas.

These are a few images of a Mola mola shot there by a friend of mine two weekends ago.

Attachments

• Mola mola.jpg
    Mola mola.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Mola el banco.jpg
    Mola el banco.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I had the chance to dive with Scuba Diver Mexico on Nov 8th . My wife and I even had the pleasure of having SDM as our personal guide (you can kind of see me on the far side of the boat) on our first dive at Los Arcos.

On top of the chinese hat nudie, he found a flat worm, a minuscule blennie and another microscopic nudie. So a very interesting dive creature wise.

It was a good dive, even though we were not quite prepare for the cold water (even though it had been posted here...). So 5mm wetsuits and hoods, we were warm enough during the first dive but a bit cold during the second one.

Unfortunately, we missed the humpback we were down for our second dive.

So if you're in PV look up VallartaUndersea, they'll take good care of you!

Here are a few images of more little animals shot in the bay by our friend Kevin Lee !!

It was good diving with you ! Hope you both made it back to CA alright. Did you get your picture via email ??

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - Kevin Lee's Photos | SmugMug

Hi Alex at PV SCUBA...just wanted to thank you for a very pleasant 2 days of diving last week (Nov 9th and 12th) I also wanted to commend your crew...especially Natalia. She went that extra mile for me. She spent considerable time and effort removing and repositioning weights in order to get my buoyancy "Just right" This was the very first dive in over 90 dives in the past 2 years where a divemaster...or instructor took the time to help me get it "just right" Natalia is a great asset to your business. I look forward to diving with you again and will be highly recommending your charters to all of my dive buddies that may be vacationing in your area. To all my fellow Canadians....this dive company is very professional and safety concious....and they will ask you exactly where you want to dive...and how deep....and what you are wanting to see. They are genuinly interested in making your day fun and exciting and cater to everybodys needs. I was also VERY impressed as I watched them going through the open water skills with new divers onboard. Thanks again to all of you at PV scuba

Great shop and everyone was friendly and very professional. We picked Vallarta Undersea after reading several reviews and we are glad we did. We dove 11/15 at Los Arcos and 11/17 at Isias Marietas. Our dive master “Nacho” was the best. He spent extra time with my wife as she was a little nervous and made sure she was comfortable the whole time. The 15th was a little crowded as it was a holiday so they had a certification class on the boat, but we still had only 4 people with Nacho. Visibility wasn’t the best, but Nacho took time to show us things that we would have otherwise missed. The 17th was totally awesome. We had to swap the dives and do the wall second as jelly fish were there in the morning. The visibility was good and it was just awesome. Again Nacho was awesome and our safety was always first. On the way back they even dropped us off at Nuevo Vallarta as it was closer to our hotel. I would recommend Vallarta Undersea to anyone looking to dive in Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks for your comments, Chet.

You see, our guides are certified instructors. Natalia is also a technical diver, so that would explain her attention to detail and wanting your buoyancy to be just right.

Anibal, whom you saw teaching the open water skills, has been a diving instructor for over 14 years and is the only PADI Master Instructor teaching in our area. With each student he shows his committment to offering the best diving education possible.

Anyway, I´m glad you enjoyed your dives and hope to have you back for your 3rd year of diving with us.

cheers

Alex from PVScuba

Hi Alex at PV SCUBA...just wanted to thank you for a very pleasant 2 days of diving last week (Nov 9th and 12th) I also wanted to commend your crew...especially Natalia. She went that extra mile for me. She spent considerable time and effort removing and repositioning weights in order to get my buoyancy "Just right" This was the very first dive in over 90 dives in the past 2 years where a divemaster...or instructor took the time to help me get it "just right" Natalia is a great asset to your business. I look forward to diving with you again and will be highly recommending your charters to all of my dive buddies that may be vacationing in your area. To all my fellow Canadians....this dive company is very professional and safety concious....and they will ask you exactly where you want to dive...and how deep....and what you are wanting to see. They are genuinly interested in making your day fun and exciting and cater to everybodys needs. I was also VERY impressed as I watched them going through the open water skills with new divers onboard. Thanks again to all of you at PV scuba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom