Puerto Vallarta dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son (age 13) and myself went diving with PV scuba on March 3 and 4. First time in P.V. and first time diving in the ocean - needless to say we were a little nervous and not sure which company to dive with, but we sure made the right choice. Natalia was wonderful! We are new divers, 12-15 dives each, and she really took the time to ensure safety first and explained everything very well. Water was cold, upper 60's, but we had wonderful dives. Lots of sealife and Natalia took time to show us everything. I can't say enough about the entire group at PV scuba and how they made us feel so comfortable. Would highly recommend anyone going that way to look them up. Alex was very easy to arrange the dives with and everything was just as he had promised. Thank you guys VERY MUCH! My son is still talking about all the fish we saw, really cool to see the seahorses and the horned fish, too bad we missed the frog fish though!! Thanks again and hope to dive with you again sometime.

i have been in puerto vallarta i have dove there 4 times, it is a good place i liked i went to los arcos, majahuitas and marietas...i will go again in november i will contact alex....

Hey Alex.

My wife and I are going to be there the 20th through the 29th of Ocotber. We have 3mm full suits. Both inexperienced divers. 4 salt water dives each under our belts. What does the water temp usually run in October. We did a intor to Scuba out at the Marietta Islands, so actually 5 salt water dives, late October 2009 and the water was about 80 degrees. We didn't need wet suits then but I am hearing talk about 60 degree water in October so am a little concerned about the temp and out suits not being warm enough. I am 6'6" 230 lbs so getting a rental is a little hard for me. Any advice on the temp and such?

Actually anybody who dives in the Puerto Vallarta area in mid to late October who knows what the water temps average out at would be great?

Hi Brad.

October is a difficult time to predict. Some years we have summer-like conditions, with water temps in the 90s F and some years we have winter-like conditions, with temps in the 60s.

Last year we had a very cold-water October and the years seem to switch a bit, so my crystal ball is telling we that we´ll have warm water this fall.

Don´t believe my crystal ball, though. Your best bet is to send me an email before you come to see how things are: avega@pvscuba.com

cheers

Alex from PVScuba

Reactions: Jax
Alex

i see that many of the dives are on los arcos or marietas area, could you tell us more about how is the diving in la corbetena? what can we see different what can we expect?

i heard that the conditions are not ideal for new divers, so what kind of skills does this dive site requires, what are we dealing with?

Hi Buton,

Diving at La Corbeteña poses a number of challenges.

First, consider that the site is 36 miles away, so it´s a long ride even on a fast boat; at least 1.5 hrs.

Second, it´s open ocean and it can get very windy and rough. Sometimes it gets so rough that we have to abort the dive and go to a closer site.

Third, it´s a dive site for advanced divers only. Just as it can be beautiful and calm, more often than not there are strong currents and large swells... no place for beginners.

Fourth, because of the distance involved, we need to find a big enough group of advanced divers to make the trip economically feasible, even at a price of about twice that of diving at Los Arcos.

Fifth, we can only make the trip during the summer/fall season. Winter is just too rough to even try.

Normally we make only 1 or 2 to La Corbeteña per year. So far this year we only scheduled one and it had to turn back because of weather. As one of our guests put it: "La Corbeteña is not a dive trip, it´s an expedition."

cheers

Alex

My Brother and I dove two sites Los Arcos and Las Majahuitas. The water was 86 deg on the surface and 81 deg at 75 feet down. It was surprisingly warm. The visibility was ok not great nor was it terrible. We saw Moray Eels, turtles, rays and tons of fish. PVScuba did a great job, one the dive to Las Majahuitas it was my brother, I and the DM. It was a group boat, with 6 divers with another company. But in our group it was just the three of us.

Dear Alex (PV Scuba),

I recently completed a refresher course and four dives with PV Scuba. Anibal Robin was the instructor/dive master. Anibal is an excellent instructor. He is patient; experienced; safe; very clear with instructions; and a joy to work with. I hope you know what a remarkable asset he is to your business and to the dive community in general. I really cannot recommend him highly enough. I am grateful to you for arranging the class and dives for me. If I again dive in Puerto Vallarta, I will return to PV Scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom