Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cralmic

Reaction score
Hello,

Was wondering how many people have dove Puerto Rico. We went last week and conditions were not the best. 6-8' waves and pretty strong currents. Beautiful Island, just probably timing. The best diving looked like it was around Mona island, which is west of PR. Visibility was not great either, but goes with above currents. I also realize it is not the diving mecca of the world, but had free room for a week so enjoyed the same.

cralmic:
Hello,

Was wondering how many people have dove Puerto Rico.
We travel to PR twice a year for superb diving. We are getting ready todo it again next month. You can see accounts of our delinquencies specially in the western
corner of the island in our web site with address below.
Usually, there is always a sheltered part of the island. When the north is blowing
hard, the south gets better and viceversa.

cralmic:
Hello,

Was wondering how many people have dove Puerto Rico. We went last week and conditions were not the best. 6-8' waves and pretty strong currents. Beautiful Island, just probably timing. The best diving looked like it was around Mona island, which is west of PR. Visibility was not great either, but goes with above currents. I also realize it is not the diving mecca of the world, but had free room for a week so enjoyed the same.

I did see a thread about this approx. 6 weeks ago they had some good input Ill look for a link for you.

Here you go.....http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=119178&highlight=Puerto+Rico

Hello, Thanks for feedback. Reason for frustration is I have dove all around Cancun/Cozumel and the operators are after you to dive. It's great, I have always had a great time and the operators have been professional and friendly... I've dove there 4 different trips with generally 3 4 tank days, with an additional 1-2 1/2 days and a night dive on each trip.

When in PR, I called at least 6 different operators when we got in and they NEVER called me back. I called some back 3 times! I have heard the western side is awesome and unfortunately did not have time to drive out to dive there and did not try operators on west coast. We stayed in Condado area and tried operators east to Fajardo as well as Calebra with no response! I am disappointed. The island is beautiful and we enjoyed our time, just a little frustrating.

I have used Oceans Unlimited in Puerto Rico to go out to Desecheo Island. They ran a very nice organization and a clean & safe boat.
I highly recommend against La Casa Del Mar. They did not run a safe boat; they use a "group buddy" system, and they did lose track of a diver while I was there (she ran out of air and bolted to the surface, no one knew she was gone).

There are a few Nice LDS in PR. The one that I have worked with is Aquatica (Aguadilla) which is in the NW part of the island (787)890-6071 aquatica@caribe.net. The shop owner is Jose or Karen. They speak english and they cater to the tourist industry. They do Bike and walking expeditions for those who also like the experience of mountain Bikes.

The other shop is West Diver in the SW part of the Island the owner ins Pilar Mendez. She runs charter boats to Parguera. Ecellent wall dives and corals.(787)597-3610.

If you are looking for some more Technical diving contact Rafi Rodriguez at www.technicaldivingpr.com. He will be able to direct you to some areas and can help you with any area dive questions you might have. All those contacts are 5 stars and will make your island experience a great one!

Tony Cerezo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom