puerto galera - transportation and private guide help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So two issues with a potential trip to PG

Hotel wants $600 for round trip transfer from Manila airport to hotel (private car and private boat)

Hotel also charging $43 per dive for a private guide
$43 x 36 dives = $1,550

That's too much IMO.

Popular competitor at Anilao charges $15 per dive

Any suggestions on transfer? Or contacts?

I think I'll need a guide because I take pictures. A communal guide means there will be other divers. I don't want to impede/delay other divers while I take pictures. I don't want to be "that guy"

Any suggestions.

Thank you!

private transport is always a waste of money imo. anywhere.

there's a new P2P from Alabang to Batangas Pier, which will be easy, cheap and comfy. i'd take that as it pretty much is the same travel time the hotel will arrange (both require you to take the public ferry). if you're staying in makati (typical for western tourists), just take a Grab to the Starmall to catch the P2P (300p o/w thereabouts). RT will cost you around 1100p TOTAL (heaps less than f'ing $300...jeez)

can't really help you much on the guides as that's just part of the culture here (I'm a p/t DM, but don't always charge depending on the guest). i'd say shop around more...there are 2-3 top shops to dive with there (the rest either catering purely to korean/chinese tourists or just crap). but those prices are exorbitant for sure.

but, dude...you must give some sort of 'ATM vibe.' those prices are higher than any i've ever heard here, lol. that's just astounding!

@hedonist222

Private transfer is ridiculous expensive unless you have other to share.
US$600.00 is about P35,000.00 and most people in the country are earning far less than that in a month.

The suggested Alabang P2P is an excellent idea but the ferry schedule is the main issue. So unless you are arriving at Manila early in the morning or staying overnight otherwise.... a bit risky if you missed the last ferry across.
Stay in Manila for a night and catch the Si-Kat in the following morning.
The home picture is White Beach.

There are many mid range hotels along Mabini Street if you do not like City State Tower Hotel

There are many operators in PG charging far less than US$46.00 per dive.

If you are diving during the low season ie. between now and late Nov, you could well be the only customer.

What is your proposed arrival time because that will determine whether you will need the private transfer? The return leg is easy as long as you are not flying out in the morning/early afternoon.

@hedonist222

What is your proposed arrival time because that will determine whether you will need the private transfer? The return leg is easy as long as you are not flying out in the morning/early afternoon.

2 available flights into Manila
One lands at 4 pm and the other at 10 pm

Return flights at either 6:30 pm or 11:30 pm

I'm not keen on public transport from manila to Port.

2 available flights into Manila
One lands at 4 pm and the other at 10 pm

Return flights at either 6:30 pm or 11:30 pm

I'm not keen on public transport from manila to Port.
You are better off to spend the first night around Mabini Street. Have a good rest and catch Si-Kat on the following morning. Make sure you have loose change(P20/50) to pay for the porterage in various places. The trike from Balatero to Sabang is around P250-300.
On your return(16:30 flight), catch the 0715 ferry(Island Water) from Balatero but do ask your resort to arrange the land transfer to the airport. You will arrive at NAIA before noon.
If you are catching the 23:30 flight then take the Si-Kat transfer. Taxi from Mabini Street to NAIA should not cost more than P400.00.
Round trip fare on Si-Kat is P3,000.00. Mid range hotel on Mabini Street is around P2,000.00. Trike + taxi + food should not cost much. P7,000.00(US$130.00) at most instead of $600.00.

US$46.00 for a boat dive is rip off. Most of the dive sites are within 15mins so fuel consumption is tiny and shouldn't be considered.
Find another operator if I were you.

US$46.00 for a boat dive is rip off. Most of the dive sites are within 15mins so fuel consumption is tiny and shouldn't be considered.
Find another operator if I were you.

That's $43 do w private guide only
They didn't mention a private boat
Even both is unacceptably high

Have begun asking other centers for quotee

Beside Captain Gregg's these two also have over 25 yrs experience and are situated in the quiet part of the area:

La Laguna Beach Club & Dive Centre – Why not…

This one has good review in SB:

It is situated next to LBC in Big La Laguna

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom