puerta Galera (philippines)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dullness

New
Reaction score
:dazzler1:

New to this site, so thought I'd throw in a little info about staying, and diving in the area of Puerta Galera..

My Wife and I will be taking our 4th trip to the area this Jan/Feb.. This year staying for a little over 6 weeks..

A number of places to stay and dive exist around the area, but most popular is the small beach town of Sabang which is a short boat or "Jeepnee" ride from the larger town of Puerta Galera (which really has no resorts or dive centers).

At Sabang, 3 beaches make up the area Sabang beach (couple nice floating bars out front). This is the "hub" of the area with lots of dive resorts, and places to eat and drink to your harts content.. A short walk down the beach is Small LaLaguna, which gets a little slower paced than the Sabang beach. Continuing along a very nice walk past Small LaLaguna you will run into Big LaLaguna (name is deceiving because this is the smaller of all the beaches in the area).. Big LaLaguna is by far the nicest of the beaches in the area within walking distance to Sabang.. Snorkling is excelent right off the beach, (which neither Small LaLaguna or Sabang can claim)..

We stay at a resort called LaLaguna Beach Club and Dive Centre (www.llbc.com.ph). The resort is owned and operated by a couple Austrailian's.. We think it's the best place to stay in the area.. Food is wonderfull, Great happy hour on the second floor beach front bar/lounge, AC rooms, Internet access, and Padi dive center with great instruction.. (Nice swimging pool also)..

Half way through this trip we are going to take a week and hop on board the "Coco Explorer" (www.cocoexplorer.com) this ship (130 passengers) makes weekly (8 days and 7 nights) trips from the Sabang area, and travels around to various small islands . Diving is the main attraction to this ship, with a dive center on board..(also a bar/resturant) After a week, it drop's us off right back at the resort...

We have never felt threatened at all in this area. Most of the visitors to the area are either Austrailan, German, Swedish, Norwegan, (and some Americans).. Being from the States (Seattle) We feel right at home, and have developed friends from all over the place we still keep in contact with..

other threads here talk about the diving in the area of Puerta Galera, but I'll just add that it's great!!!!

anyway, just wanted to post a little, if your interested in any of this and want more info just say so... glad to help

Marko

Just wanted to add that not only is this a great and comfortable place to stay due to the work of Donno and Frank (owners), but that Frank is also one of the best Tech Instructors I have me. He runs a tight ship (DSAT & IANTD) and I recommend him to all new and experienced divers.

Thanks for the report - the only thing I'd add is that the place is actually called Puerto Galera :)

Hi Guys,

Just to make sure you are headed in the right direction, in fact the diving is from the small town dedicated to divers from all over the world named Sabang. Sabang is a 15 minute boat ride from Puerto Galera (about US$3.00). Puerto Galera (Mindoro) is on the Verde Island Passage which runs between Luzon and Mindoro.

Dullness (above) has all the details correct, including their web site.

I am heading to PG next week to do my advanced open water course and i am still trying to decide which shop to go with.
i don't want to stay on sabang as i am looking for a more quiet beach. i have been looking at small la laguna or white beach. if i go with a shop that is not on the beach i stay at is the distance walkable between beaches and how do you get to the morning dive etc.
i have been in touch with action divers and asia divers. i see some other recommendations on the site for asia divers but to tell you the truth i don't think i can afford to go with them. they are charging $120 US more for the course than the other shops and i am on a budget.
what do you know about action divers or any other shop in the area.
thanks
shannon

TomvdH:
Hi Guys,

Just to make sure you are headed in the right direction, in fact the diving is from the small town dedicated to divers from all over the world named Sabang. Sabang is a 15 minute boat ride from Puerto Galera (about US$3.00). Puerto Galera (Mindoro) is on the Verde Island Passage which runs between Luzon and Mindoro.

Dullness (above) has all the details correct, including their web site.

Hey shannon, Welcome to Scubaboard!

I have heard nothing but good things about action divers (but I have never had the pleasure of doing business with them).

White beach is on the other side of PG. It is known to be the place where the locals here gather (Sabang is mostly for foreigners). Since it is semester break next week it may be a little more crowded than usual, so I would recommend small LL or big LL if you're looking for a place that is quiet.

Small LL is only 15 mins walk from sabang so it is more convenient incase you want to check out the Sabang night life and what not.

White beach is a 20-30 min boat ride (depending on the current) and about a 40 minute trikie ride to Sabang (I'm pretty sure boat taxis aren't allowed to run at night).

I have never been to Big LL, but to walk from one end to the other of small LL is about 10-15 mins (Big LL is next to small LL. It goes (from left to right: Big LL - Small LL - Sabang). So you're looking at a 30 mins walk from big LL.

I invite you to check out the Philippine Paradise Divers' forum (click here) and go to this thread if you want to gain a little more info:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=1289405#post1289405

It's our most recent discussion of PG.

Last, I'm glad you chose the Philippines. PG is an awesome place. I hope you have a pleasant and safe trip! Where are you from and how long are you staying here for?

Shannon,

While at Sabang last summer, I used Anabel Pepito to redo my OW (29 years had passed between courses with no diving in between). Cost was well under $300. She is a very good instructor. Later, dives were then only about $20 each. Very reasonable. I dont know which shop she is affiliated with now. I stayed at Big Apple Resort for about $25 a night, but didnt use their shop. You could email her at anabel_pepito@hotmail.com Tell her that Larry who came with Slider and Casey From Korea gave you her name. She did OW for 3 or 4 of our crowd and I believe more advanced stuff for Slider. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom