Puck wrist computer turns on late

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Mares Puck wrist computer that I have used for 25 dives. It is supposed to turn on automatically at 4 feet. However it seems now that it takes until about 15' until it comes on. After that, it seems to work fine, but I am definitely concerned that it does not come on when it is supposed to.

Anyone ever hear of that?

I do not have a Mares, but my computer, by the time it comes on and is functioning on H2O contact could easily be 15 feet, depending on how fast I am descending.

I have always made it a point to have my Puck (or any other computer for that matter) on before I go in the water. A couple reasons:

1) self diagnostics are complete, and I know its working (including battery voltage)
2) I have verified the mix is correct (Nitrox mode)
3) I have used the planning mode to verify the dive plan (especially repetitive dives)
4) avoid the embarrassment of climbing back up the ladder to possibly call the dive.......

OK, thank you both.

I need to make a clarification here.

The Puck is "on", it is not in dive mode.

I have gone through planning as well and know that the computer is on.

It should go into dive mode at 4' and is not doing it until around 15'.

You can't manually put it in dive mode, that is automatic.

Okay, that clears up some of the question - sorry. Perhaps there is a "sampling rate" the computer functions at that may appear to be late to commence if you are getting off the surface quickly. Also, have you compared the depth to another measuring device to make sure the sensor is "happy"?

That is a good point. I do believe the sampling rate is 20 seconds.
I first noticed this on a dive in Lake Tahoe as we dropped down and swam out in fairly shallow water and I had gone quite a ways, certainly more than 20 seconds, before it ever came on.

Just returned from a trip to Cozumel and noticed that it still was reacting the same way but those were indeed quick decents, jump in, OK, descend.

So because of this, I did verify with another diver, completely different computer and we were dead on with each other on depth and temp.

Back
Top Bottom