Ptb & Dcs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Good day.

I was diagnosed with pulmonary tubercolosis (Koch's pulmonary infection) on January of this year. After 2 months of treatment (4 tabs of Myrin-P a day), I tested negative on my sputum test and decided to go back to diving. I work as a divemaster and dive 2 to 3 dives a day, 6 days a week. Last April, after a deep (27m) dive I had Type II DCS and had to take a ride in a chamber. I have now finished my treatment for PTB, it was a 6-month program with Myrin-P and Myrin, and have been declared cured by my doctor.

I am planning to go back to being a divemaster as soon as I get clearance from my certifying agency. Any advice/ comments/ suggestions?

Thank you!

marku

Hi Marku,

It would be prudent to undergo spiral computerized tomography (spiral CT) or an equally sensitive imaging procedure to assess for TB-related damage to lung tissue that could lead to air trapping. Damage to lung tissue can result in air inappropriately entering the arterial system or chest cavity.

Lung function should also be normal as assessed by spirometry.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

Doc

Allrighty. Thanks Doc.

Hi Marku,

The spirometery is the easy part. Can get that at any modern medical facility.

To get a spiral/helical CT you'll likely have to go to Manila or perhaps even Singapore.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom