Pt. Lobos memorial plaque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

Me and KLJ took on a mission to see Itchy and Scratchy on Sunday with a couple really great dives at Pt. Lobos. Ultimately, mission failed- we looked into every nook and cranny next to an abalone shell at 30 feet we could find to no avail. But we did find the memorial plaque next to the wall in 57 feet. Anyone have any idea of where that is in relation to the elusive eels?

Second dive we saw a Pacific Electric Eel, sitting out in the sand all by itself. Spent a couple of minutes checking it out. Very cool. Also saw a huge ling-cod with those nasty sea lice all over its face.

Conditions were great, we got maybe 50 feet of viz out at middle reef. Vertical visibility was at least 60, since we could see the surface ripples from the plaque.

Awesome diving on another awesome Norcal weekend!

Very nice... I wish I was diving this weekend unfortunately work interfered with the diving this time.

It was nice finally meeting you and KLJ at the dive shop I'm glad you guys had a nice dive.

It was great meeting you too, Ben. We'll have to go diving sometime soon and get you to show us some cool places.

We found the memorial plaque attached by a chain to Middle Reef on our dive last month. The surge was strong so I did not get a good read off it. My guess is that is in memory of a diver who either loved diving Lobos or lost their life doing what they loved at lobos. Either way I am good with it. If I find it again I plan on noting the name and dates so I can research person. If anyone knows the story I would love to hear it.

NP251 and I seem to remember Steve Paul Davis on the plaque. Can't find much about him though.

I've seen information about him in this forum, pretty sure it was Don who wrote it. From what I can remember, the poor guy died at home of a heart attack, non-diving related.

Yeah, I seem to recall the death was not diving or water related, but he did love Lobos. I wonder if his ashes were scattered in the water?

Look forward to seeing you two around :)!

I wasn't able to find anything in that thread about the plaque, Chuck, though it was nice to remember those two dives :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom