Question PT-059 vs Seafrog TG-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for comparison opinions on the Olympus PT-059 and Seafrog TG-6

1676044628376.png
1676044664757.png

General opinion is PT-059 is better, quite a few reports of sea frogs housings leaking, however many are happy with them. Difficult to get a comparison as you tend to buy one or the other and your next case will be when you buy a new camera

thank you @noserider
I've been reading reviews on both and several do mention leaks on the Seafrogs. Also that some buttons on Seafrog don't align with the camera buttons. I believe Seafrog is made in China. Olympus made in Japan?

thank you @noserider
I've been reading reviews on both and several do mention leaks on the Seafrogs. Also that some buttons on Seafrog don't align with the camera buttons. I believe Seafrog is made in China. Is Olympus also made in China?
I have no idea and quite frankly don't care, but why would the country of origin bother you? There are good factories and poor in every country.

I would prefer a Japanese car to American one, I would prefer a Chinese phone to a Finnish one, I prefer a swiss watch to a Japanese one as my perception is that the brands in those countries are better but I would never discount a product based on which country it has been made in unless it was for political reasons.

Have a look around the room where you are at the moment and you will be surprised how much is made in China as we in the west have deliberately off shored all of our manufacturing to China etc.

When it comes to cameras, (like Swiss watch, Japan knife, German cars) the best are usually made in Japan

I am happy with the PT-059 as it is intuitive, and fairly robust. We did get a leak on a dive in Cozumel last month, but that was because of a hair in the O ring, and the beauty of the TG cameras is the camera is also waterproof so it didn't damage it at all. Cleaned the O ring, regreased it, gave it back to my wife, and we kept on diving. I have never used a Sea Frogs housing, but I have heard good things. With the TG you aren't as concerned if you get a leak during a dive. My new Fantasea FG7X II is a different story. Nicer housing, but it needs to be because the Canon isn't waterproof at all on its own.

When it comes to cameras, (like Swiss watch, Japan knife, German cars) the best are usually made in Japan
I think you will find most Japanese camera brands have offshored production to China, Thailand, Vietnam and the Philippines. and things like waterproof cases will have been outsourced to a co-manufacture possibly someone like AOI who seem to do a lot of OEM work for other brands

A coating on the Olympus housing lens started coming away on mine - a blurry/cloudy effect that ruined photographs.

I replaced it with an Ikelite .
Thanks, Does the Ikelite buttons match the Olympus TG-6 buttons?

Back
Top Bottom