PT-010 Strobe help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sepia

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking into getting an external strobe for my Olympus C4000z and PT-010 housing. I am relatively new to photography and am unsure as to the best setup. I have heard that Ikelite might be a good option, however the Ikelite strobes seem to be quite expensive. Is it possible to purchace a strobe for less than $700 (Australian)? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read my message,

Emily

Emily...there have been numerous discussions on strobes used with the Oly PT-XX housing. Usually recommended are S&S YS90DX and Ikelite DS125.

If you'll do a search for strobes, you'll find alot of info. One of the most recent can be found here... http://www.scubaboard.com/t24195/s.html

I don't know what the conversion is but my YS90DX and fiber optic cable was about $500US.

In aussie pesos that's about AUD 850 - 900. If imported add shipping and insurance, plus possible customs handling fee plus possible 10% GST...

Thanks for the replys!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do the initials DX stand for? I had a look at a website advertising the YS90TTL.. but have not found a DX. Is the DX preferable? :book:

Emily

Sepia once bubbled...
Thanks for the replys!

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do the initials DX stand for? I had a look at a website advertising the YS90TTL.. but have not found a DX. Is the DX preferable? :book:

Emily

The YS90TTL is the model previous to the YS90DX. As far as I understand the D stands for digital but I'm not sure about the X. I know the DX is more versatile and can be used 3 different ways. Here's a description from Underwater Digital that might explain it better....

Configured like its counterpart, the popular YS-90TTL Duo strobe, the YS-90DX is compact and lightweight, constructed of high-impact polycarbonate. It bears the same prism diffuser, projecting an ultra-wide, even beam. But the YS-90DX goes beyond dual system capability; it is the world's first submersible flash to have intuitive circuitry with triple-system compatibility. A traditional four-pin sync cord synchronizes it with the Motor Marine II-EX. A traditional five-pin sync cord synchronizes it with Nikonos and housed Nikon systems. And the new Sea & Sea fiber optic cable synchronizes it with digital still cameras.

S&S have 3 models for the YS-90

YS-90TTL Duo
This was their first one and (I think) only works with a sync cord or through the sensor (as a slave). It doesn't have the fibre optic cable and doesn't work with camera's that have a pre-flash. Full and half power only for manual operation. Generally used with Sea & Sea cameras, Nikonos cameras, and Nikon housed systems.

YS-90 DX
This will work with a sync cord, fibre optic cable and through the sensor (as a slave). Supports pre-flash (by ignoring it) and can be used with digital cameras. Has 12 power settings for manual operation.

YS-90 Auto
Just to make it even more confusing this is the latest one from S&S. It has a reflectance controlled quenching system. Instead of the 12 power settings it now has 12 aperture settings. You calibrate the dial on the back of the strobe to the f-stop on the camera, and it quenches the strobe based on the reflectance of the subject.

p.s. Woohoo! One hundred posts!

ReyeR once bubbled...

YS-90 Auto
Just to make it even more confusing this is the latest one from S&S. It has a reflectance controlled quenching system. Instead of the 12 power settings it now has 12 aperture settings. You calibrate the dial on the back of the strobe to the f-stop on the camera, and it quenches the strobe based on the reflectance of the subject.

p.s. Woohoo! One hundred posts!

The YS90 AUTO still isn't on the market. The release date has been moved back...again. It's their attemp at providing true TTL but I wouldn't even consider this one in the running any time soon.

:thumb: Congratulations on your 100th!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom