PT-010 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mgnau

Registered
Reaction score
:mean: I'm looking at the PT-010 housing for my C3030Z. My question is will I need to purchase a external flash to take decent pictures. I think the internal flash is blocked. This will not be a hobbie of mine (taking pictures underwater) but would like some memories. Any suggestions would be helpful.

M

The answer to your question is no, you do not need an external strobe to get good results with the PT-010 but it would improve the results. The internal flash is not blocked by the housing. The PT-010 has a flash diffuser (white) on it to minimize backscatter and it works well. I have been using my PT-010 for well over a year with both a C2040Z and now a C4000Z camera with good results for an amateur photographer.
Getting good results will depend on your knowledge of your camera and your ability/flexibility to use it underwater. That will likely not happen on your first dive.
Almost all the photos on my website were taken with the 2040 and the 4000 w/o a strobe. The other half of the picture taking is having a software program to adjust them with, like Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, the latter being around $50. on sale online.
I gathered info and put it on my PT-010 website. Check and see if it is of any help to you.

You can use the onboard flash for many situations, especially close subjects or with clear visibility to mid range. I have used it exclusively so far with my Olympus 3040z/PT-010, but want an external flash.

External flash has several advantages and disadvantages.
Pro's:
Less back scatter
Shorter recycle time
longer camera battery life
Usually brighter than on-camera flash

Con's:
expensive ($600 or more).
Bulky
Limited TTL exposure support
Guesswork on manual exposure control

For cloudy water or deeper water, or subjects more than 3 ft away, you benefit enormously from an external flash. In shallow water, you don't need any flash and will be limited only by water visibility. The attached is an example of a shallow scene with poor visibility (Sabang, PI canyons, Dec 2003), makes me wish I was there though.

Back
Top Bottom