PST Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akscubaduck1

Contributor
Reaction score
Land of the midnight sun Anchorage,Alaska
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just received a PST 3AA 3000 psi tank (free, the best kind):D
Very good shape, pasted Hydro!
I've inspected and filled quite a few.
Now that I have this tank I would like to know capacity and buoyancy characteristics.
Original hydro date 7 77+.
TERRY
Dive Safe, Dive Often, Dive Prince William Sound, Alaska.

Can't say I have ever seen a 3AA 3000 psi tank from that era. How about a picture

I have 2 of them. They are heavy! Definitely negative empty or full. I believe that it something like a 92 cf at 3000. I actually really like diving them. But they are boat anchors.

Dave

Thank you Dave. That's kinda what I figured.
I'd love to find another one to band up as doubles or side mount.
Dove it Wednesday while raising a 27' boat in Whittier, AK.
A bad brake for the owner. The boat only had 6 hours on it.
Just glad that it sunk there and not out in the sound.
Dive Safe, Dive Often, Dive Prince William Sound, AK.
Terry

Hold on to it. That is the best 12 liter, 6.9, steel tank ever made. The capacity is 94.6 cf @ 3300 psi. The balance and buoyancy characteristics are great for diving suited up. Not as great for skinning it but that is what BC's are for. IMO, too heavy for doubles.

duck are you still around?
I've got one of those PST tanks too, bought new around '85. IIRC it was sold as a "96.2" and that would be at the + rating. If you find a competent hydro shop, they can be tested for a + rating and stamped again for it forever--according to the DOT.
Compared to an Alu80, you can take about 8-9# of lead off your belt.

A modern Faber HP will be lighter, but these old ones are bomb-proof.

duck are you still around?
I've got one of those PST tanks too, bought new around '85. IIRC it was sold as a "96.2" and that would be at the + rating. If you find a competent hydro shop, they can be tested for a + rating and stamped again for it forever--according to the DOT.
Compared to an Alu80, you can take about 8-9# of lead off your belt.

A modern Faber HP will be lighter, but these old ones are bomb-proof.
I bought one a couple years ago. Most of the information is not really visible. But I believe it’s similar to the tank you’re talking about. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5272.jpeg
    IMG_5272.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 53

Back
Top Bottom