Pst E-7 120 = E-8 149

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4Life

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a PST E-7 120 and looked at it and thought wow. That tank is huge for a 120. The E-8 119 is much smaller. I later found out that this tank was the exact same size as the E-8 149. The only difference is the quoted operating pressure. The E-7 is 120 at 2640 psi and is a 149 at 3311 psi. If you were looking for a E-8 149 just buy a E-7 and pump a whole load of air into the bad boy. With a better burst disc she should be able to handle it. The only down fall, it is like diving with a submarine on your back. Just some interesting info for those who are looking for a monster of a tank.

I'm glad I caught it before anyone else. The PST LP 120 is the same as the E-8 149 at 3442.

Dive4Life once bubbled...
I bought a PST E-7 120 and looked at it and thought wow. That tank is huge for a 120. The E-8 119 is much smaller. I later found out that this tank was the exact same size as the E-8 149. The only difference is the quoted operating pressure. The E-7 is 120 at 2640 psi and is a 149 at 3311 psi. If you were looking for a E-8 149 just buy a E-7 and pump a whole load of air into the bad boy. With a better burst disc she should be able to handle it. The only down fall, it is like diving with a submarine on your back. Just some interesting info for those who are looking for a monster of a tank.

No, not quite. The E7 120 holds 120 cf of air at 3442 psi, and the E8 149 holds 149 cf of air at 3442 psi. The E7 and E8 series both have an operating pressure of 3442 psi. The 149 is 8" by 29.3" and weighs 47.5 pounds, while the E7 120 is 7.3" by 28" and weighs 36 pounds.

Perhaps you're thinking of the old LP-120, which has been essentially rebranded as the E8-149? Look on the tank near the neck, it will specify the operating pressure.

Jonnythan,

You are absolutely right. I was thinking of the LP-120's. What is the harm in overfilling these cylinders? Do they have a tendency of going boom at 3442 psi? I would love to hear some feedback.

Jonnythan,

You are absolutely right. I was thinking of the LP-120's. What is the harm in overfilling these cylinders? Do they have a tendency of going boom at 3442 psi? I would love to hear some feedback.

I haven't personally blown up any LP cylinders, but I'm sure it's happened. I sure as hell wouldn't stand anywhere near a cylinder rated for 2640 psi getting filled to 3500 psi, but I'm just like that. And you probably won't find a dive shop to do it.

Just wondering.. how common is it for people to overpressurize their tanks.. I'm seeing people talking about like %30 overfills.. those numbers aren't just arbitrary, they represent real world limits. That's some hard core shrapnel filled death in the future for some poor fool... yikes....:wacko:

I have already had it filled that high once before. My first fill actually. The LDS's in Miami, especially those cadering to techies don't have a problem over filling. I don't want 150 cu.ft of gas trying to escape on me to quickly though. After reading some of the posts around here I have to admit I am getting a bit nervous about it. I appreciate the feedback, lets just hope my tank doesn't decide to go boom anytime soon. I bet that would destroy a room or a vehicle.

I have already had it filled that high once before. My first fill actually. The LDS's in Miami, especially those cadering to techies don't have a problem over filling. I don't want 150 cu.ft of gas trying to escape on me to quickly though. After reading some of the posts around here I have to admit I am getting a bit nervous about it. I appreciate the feedback, lets just hope my tank doesn't decide to go boom anytime soon. I bet that would destroy a room or a vehicle.

So which tank do you have? The E7? That one is rated to 3442 psi..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom