PST Cylinder DOT Certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

letterboy

I'm the reasonable one
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Saw elsewhere on here in passing that their "DOT Certificate" had been revoked due to a bankruptcy . . .

how does this effect us owners of PST cylinders, if at all?

or should I put my Tinfoil hat away and just shut up and dive?

letterboy.gif

3442 E series tanks are DOT "exemption" cylinders. The exemption remains in force for now but if PST or another entitity doesn't renew it when it expires again in 2 yrs, E series tanks will no longer be valid to fill, hydro or use in commerce.

They aren't very hard to renew and the renewal need not even be done by PST so I wouldn't worry about it.

Norris bagged on renewing there exemption a couple years ago and caught hell for it. Some cylinders got condemned before divers realized what had happened. I imagine they might be lazy and skip renewing theirs moreso than PST.

So I have 2 E7 120's (3442) so I am worried until someone renews then. Correct?

So I have 2 E7 120's (3442) so I am worried until someone renews then. Correct?

I haven't seen anything official but rumor is that in Canada, PST's certificate has already expired. However, the 'new' owners have apparently applied for a new exemption, but that's yet to be approved by the TC, so in the mean time, from what I've heard, yes, there is the potential to have problems with hydros or maybe even fills in some provinces. (Don't know if the rumored Ontario Ministry of Labour's new more rigid interpretation of safety rules regarding operation of fill stations means people selling breathing gas are checking more closely as well.)

See Steve, all you have to do is ask and you will be told.

Well now that sucks :shakehead:. The shops I deal with have not indicated any issues with filling them, just not allowing the next hydro. So, hopefully I can carry on using them until the new owners get their stuff in order. I will cry loudly if I can't use them (or if I have to replace them).

I haven't seen anything official but rumor is that in Canada, PST's certificate has already expired. However, the 'new' owners have apparently applied for a new exemption, but that's yet to be approved by the TC, so in the mean time, from what I've heard, yes, there is the potential to have problems with hydros or maybe even fills in some provinces. (Don't know if the rumored Ontario Ministry of Labour's new more rigid interpretation of safety rules regarding operation of fill stations means people selling breathing gas are checking more closely as well.)

3AA cylinders will be unaffected.

Special permit cylinders are potentially affected if the certificate is not renewed, but this has been a concern for years as PST circled the financial drain.

Personally, the only PST tanks I own are LP 3AA cylinders. Conceivably though a group of divers/PST tank owners could get together and sumbit the paper work for the renewal process.

When some of the early aluminum special permit tanks did not get rolled into the 3AL standard due to lack of application for the change by the manufacturers, my understanding was that TC grand fathered them in. Apparently that is not the case with orphaned special permit tanks.

Conceivably though a group of divers/PST tank owners could get together and sumbit the paper work for the renewal process.

That would be better than having to replace them.....expensive buggers they are. And one was purchased when steel in the market was like gold. The other when it was worth less than pocket lint. So the cost averaged out acceptably IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom