PSI Gauge when breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before a dive:
1. Look at the pressure gauge, it should show "full tank." THIS IS NOT ENOUGH, DO NOT STOP HERE!
2. Take three good breaths from the reg....if the pressure goes down and stays down, the valve it turned off. Turn it on and go to step 1.
3. If the pressure swings down, then back up, mostly likely the valve is only barely on. turn it on and go to step 1.
4. If the pressure gauge doesn't move when you breath from it, go diving. Otherwise, call the dive. ...//...

5. Turn the valve all the way off again. Breathe it all the way out. Inhale hard, if you get anything at all, you have a wet breathing secondary. Pass on it, ask for another...

Turn on your air yourself, back off or not back off the valve is your call.
If the tank is on and you leave for any reason, insure it is on when you return.
Do not let anyone "help" you with your valve.

Before a dive:
4. If the pressure gauge doesn't move when you breath from it, go diving. Otherwise, call the dive.
If someone has mistakenly shut your valve and backed it off (reopened) 1/4 turn, the gage probably won't move. ( The two I tested in my garage checked out fine at only 1/4 turn open.) You won't notice the gauge movement until you are deeper and need more airflow. It is not a big problem if you understand what is happening, but it won't happen if you maintain control of the valve.

Make those 3 breaths before going in a standard part of your routine, like putting your face-mask and fins on.
Agreed

Bob
----------------------------------------
"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

If someone has mistakenly shut your valve and backed it off (reopened) 1/4 turn, the gage probably won't move. ( The two I tested in my garage checked out fine at only 1/4 turn open.) You won't notice the gauge movement until you are deeper and need more airflow. It is not a big problem if you understand what is happening, but it won't happen if you maintain control of the valve.

Agreed. I should have said "three deep, hard breaths." The point to try and overbreath the reg...not just sip air from it. If there is any restriction, you will know.

Now what if you find it doesn't breathe, or breathes hard, and now you're already in the water?

If you're positively buoyant and mouth above water, you have time to figure it out or ask for help. If, however, you are not buoyant nor on the surface, it's, ahem, a problem. Signal out of air to anyone nearby ("call 911"). While they are getting to you, do what you (should have) practiced earlier--reach left hand under your tank, lift it and pull the bottom to your left--top tilts toward the right. Reach up with right hand and find your valve wheel. Turn it counterclockwise lots. That may fix you up. If it doesn't, then you need that buddy who has just arrived. Throughout it all, try not to panic (easier said than done but odds are better if you consciously "try not to panic")

"practiced beforehand" is the important part here. And when you do, tell your buddy in advance or you will cause panic in your buddy. Which is almost as bad as you panicking ;-)

Sorry to go slightly off-topic here and restate the (I hope) obvious, but it's good to know.

Now what if you find it doesn't breathe, or breathes hard, and now you're already in the water?

If you're positively buoyant and mouth above water, you have time to figure it out or ask for help. If, however, you are not buoyant nor on the surface, it's, ahem, a problem. Signal out of air to anyone nearby ("call 911"). While they are getting to you, do what you (should have) practiced earlier--reach left hand under your tank, lift it and pull the bottom to your left--top tilts toward the right. Reach up with right hand and find your valve wheel. Turn it counterclockwise lots. That may fix you up. If it doesn't, then you need that buddy who has just arrived. Throughout it all, try not to panic (easier said than done but odds are better if you consciously "try not to panic")

"practiced beforehand" is the important part here. And when you do, tell your buddy in advance or you will cause panic in your buddy. Which is almost as bad as you panicking ;-)

Sorry to go slightly off-topic here and restate the (I hope) obvious, but it's good to know.

Would you go in the water without your BCD and tank? Without your fins and facemask? Without your wetsuit? Without your computer? Would you giant stride in without looking down first to see if you are jumping on someone? No?
Then don't go in the water without first checking your air.

Reactions: BRT
Get your buddy breathing skills up to date---or--make sure you're on top of emergency swimming ascent technique...:)......

OR, check it out before next dive.....I would guess tank valve not opened(a lot)....

Agreed. I should have said "three deep, hard breaths." The point to try and overbreath the reg...not just sip air from it. If there is any restriction, you will know.

Even doing the drill correctly the SPG didn't move, which kind of surprised me. Of course, my old Sherwood probably can't draw as much air as some of the new high end regs.

I always thought that the SPG was the handiest piece of equipment invented for SCUBA, for this and other reasons. Beat the hell out of a j-valve for gas planning.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

We've gotten a bit into proper way to check your air is fully on and working. All I can add is be sure this is the case when either boat diving or jumping into water that is deep or even over your head. I'm not ashamed to admit forgetting to turn air on while shore diving a time or two. Not good, but you just walk back out and fix it feeling stupid.

Most likely causes:

1. Valve barely on - turn valve fully on and back 1/4 turn
2. Clogged sintered filter in regulator - service regulator and replace filter
3. Clogged/broken or partially plugged dip tube in tank - get another tank and or operator/rental
4. J valve reserve in Dive Position (normal) - get a modern regulator (said as a vintage equipment diver :) )

Before diving, breath several breaths from regulator, spg needle should remain steady and not deflect noticeably or drop.

N

Before a dive:
1. Look at the pressure gauge, it should show "full tank." THIS IS NOT ENOUGH, DO NOT STOP HERE!
2. Take three good breaths from the reg....if the pressure goes down and stays down, the valve it turned off. Turn it on and go to step 1.
3. If the pressure swings down, then back up, mostly likely the valve is only barely on. turn it on and go to step 1.
4. If the pressure gauge doesn't move when you breath from it, go diving. Otherwise, call the dive.

People will tell you to turn the valve all the way on, then back slightly, maybe 1/4 turn. There are historical reasons to do this, but in general it is not necessary. People will disagree with what I just said! OK, fine, so why do tech divers NOT do the 1/4 turn back? (Actually, people will argue about this, too, but my point is that turning it full on is not life-threatening.)

Make those 3 breaths before going in a standard part of your routine, like putting your face-mask and fins on.

AND make it the LAST thing you do before rolling off a boat, just in case some helpful soul decides to check your valve and mistakenly turns it off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom