PSE 3.0 test photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBOBuba:
Yoda: Sheesh! If I bothered to read your rollcall post I would know you use PSCS which, unlike PSE, does have a Channel Mixer. I only use the Channel Mixer to produce B&W images and repair dead red channels. You have used it to get a pleasing color correction. I am going to have to try this. Do you remember your settings?...
You gotta read closer :D I use PS7.

How different is PSE than PS7?

I don't look too much at the settings when adjusting the colors. I move the sliders both ways until I think I like it in the preview- I guess I take the cook's approach, pinch of this / a dash of that. I know that I added red to the green and blue sliders in the red channel and I think a little green added to the red and blue sliders in the green channel. I did not do anything in the blue channel. I did this for each color selection. I made several selections because of the different hues on top of the shell and in the background. Each selection needed a different tweaking of colors in channel mixer. I unselected after each color change to get rid of the marching ants so I could see better. If I didn't like the change I got rid of it in history and tried again.

Yoda: Hmmm. Do I need new glasses? I do not ususally pay attention to my settings either, so I can't hold you to a higher standard. If you do your adjustments using adjustment layers and save a psd file, your settings in the adjustment layers will be preserved and can be recalled and tweaked. This is one of the advantages of corrections on adjusment layers in PS.

The second advantage is a built in mask. It starts out white so that the entire adjusment applies to the layers being adjusted. Click on the mask thumbnail to make it active and paint with black, and you can mask out parts of the adjustment. If you want to mask the entire adjustment and "paint back" the subject, then click on the mask icon to make it active and (in PS) choose Image>Adjustments>Invert. This will change the the mask to black and you can paint on the mask in white to reveal the adjusted subject. Try it. Because you can correct the mask you do not have to redo a selection.

I am not on a computer with photoshop, so I don't remember the keyboard shortcut to invert the mask. PSE allows adjustment layers and has the mask feature in adjustment layers. The invert command is different in PSE and I will have to look it up.

Pinch of this and a pinch of that... is there any other way? Cooking Photoshop style.

PSE does not have a Channels Palatte or a Channel Mixer. You have found a new use for this function. Thanks again.

---Bob

fpoole:
Heheh... looking good Bob... you're really getting into this.. and very helpfull...
My hat is off to you... I'm learning a lot just by watching your posts...

keept it up... I might even learn PSCS, PSE2.0 an PSE3.0... LOL.. but don't get your hopes up...

so much to learn
so little time...

Foole: Thank you for the kind words. Time is valuable! Part of the reason I enjoy doing this is that I spent a lot of time fumbling around learning this stuff. If I can save any of you some time I spent in trial and error learning this stuff, then, mission accomplished.

Also, Dee renamed this subforum based upon my suggestion, so I owe her. Be careful what you ask for ...

---Bob

Sir, I copied the text of your fine tutorial, and will be giving some of my photos a good "working over" Thanks to you, I now have a working knowledge of PSE 3, something before this post I didnt have, Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom