PSD or Commercial?

Was this operation a "public safety dive?" Yes or No...

• YES ... This was a public safety dive operation.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • NO ... This was not a public safety dive operation.

Votes: 32 86.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW!! hot subject blades... I just started reading, and four pages, now my eyes hurt. I think this is a commercial job, but I can see Canals point as well.

Our team has been called out for stupid things that have nothing to do with rescue or recovery, and without fail we will have guys throw on a dry suit and go shovel off a screen in the river so that the sprinklers can water the grass.
I agree that by all the standards NFPA OSHA and a ton of other acrynyms that its not our job, but until we have somebody pressing and enforcing standards, we will continue to see ppl who probably are very skilled and comfortable divers in extremly crap conditions attempting to do jobs we havnt been trained to do.

Thank God there are agencies that give us what training is available, if nothing else it might open our eyes to when we dont belong on a dive. its easy to see the views of ppl who have had this training vs the ppl who not yet have. Regardless of experience, I read some of my early posts, and I can see how differently I look at situations. kinda humbling...
Clay

Very good post.

Now for CanalDiver - I'm sorry you are afraid of fire. It just so happens that the City of Seaside in California, the Army National Guard Camp Roberts in San Luis Obispo California and the Ontario International airport in California all use Safety Officers, which is a fancy name for Firefighter/Policeman. The guys are cross trained and work both jobs on a rotating basis or sometimes based on location to the call.

Blades, you don't know what a "lock down" is? I think you guys are to far removed from the rest of the Judicial system.

Anyway, back on topic. Gary was right on because there are always drawings from the construction of a plant so the number of valves should not have been a supprise. Four feet of water is not that big a deal and probably could have been done by water department personnel wearing waders. Calling the fire department to do it was the most expedient means, but probably not the smartest choice. I don't see it as a money saving decision, I think the managers that made the call were under the impression that it was a serious, iminant "public safety" emergency and that the PSD team sould do the job. Very few drinking water emergencies are immedeately life threatening. The decision makers during this incedent were lucky that all the PSD guys went home afterward. Incedents like this are never re-evaluated and discussed by the players involved until someone goes home in a box. Then it's just too late.

But, like said previously, it is the divers call. More training on the definition of PSD under the OSHA exception is probably the only way to help mitigate the guy who gets the call, is all ampped up and want to make a dive.

"Diver on bottom"

Mudd out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom