PSA if traveling to a Red Sea liveaboard and you use a yoke fitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not rocket science to own or use. The only trick is they come with different size hex holes.

1663796016262.png

I am not certain if asking in advance or even prior experience is any 100% assurance. On our trip in August, it was the third time that we dove with the same fleet. We used a different boat each time.

One of the divers who was using yoke, did not have any problems on the first trip, but could not get his yoke to seal properly on the third trip. We must have tried 20 or 30 DIN inserts on the boat. He has never had any other problems anywhere. Meanwhile some other divers using yoke regulators from other manufacturers had no problem.

So, I am led to believe that it is an infrequent and unpredictable regulator manufacturer / DIN insert dimension interaction.

Similarly, on a related subject, I have also seen some DIN adapters not be compatible with some manufacturers standard non-convertible K valves. not all DIN adapters are created the same. Those were inexpensive no name Far East imports. I had to lend my name brand DIN adapter to the diver so that he could dive.

it would appear that the applicable dimensions are not 100% standardized Or that there are loose tolerances with some manufacturers.

if I were using yoke, which I do not, I would take my own DIN inserts which I knew to work with my yoke regulator. It seems the inserts with the fat 112 oring would be more likely to work.

Self sufficient is the only way to go, which ever style you have. I have DIN regs and was going to a diving conference in California. I asked if the tanks were DIN, yoke or convertable ( I really only needed one DIN valve) and was told "they are all pro valves (ie convertable), you're good to go!"

Came to find out they were indeed Pro valves, but the the inserts had never been removed. Like, ever. So they were now fused into yoke only. Good thing I brought my adapter anyway!

Came to find out they were indeed Pro valves, but the the inserts had never been removed. Like, ever. So they were now fused into yoke only. Good thing I brought my adapter anyway!
This^^^. I have experienced this and am glad that I had my adapter which I always carry. Never dive without it available.

I still have four new DIN inserts, and multiple O rings from a trip to the Red Sea a couple years ago. I did not get a chance to use any of them because the dive ops I used knew I was American, had yokes on both my reg sets, and had properly configured tanks (and good O rings) ready for every dive. But I would rather be over prepared than have dives ruined by not having backup DIN inserts, hex keys, and enough spare O rings. The dive ops used catered mostly to Europeans, but thankfully were ready for any Americans that showed up.

The other fun part is when they have been over tightened and incorrect hex keys used and it starts to round out.
Or haven't been removed or rinsed in 3 years and essentially welded into the valve.

One of the divers who was using yoke, did not have any problems on the first trip, but could not get his yoke to seal properly on the third trip. We must have tried 20 or 30 DIN inserts on the boat. He has never had any other problems anywhere. Meanwhile some other divers using yoke regulators from other manufacturers had no problem.

So, I am led to believe that it is an infrequent and unpredictable regulator manufacturer / DIN insert dimension interaction.
I ran into exactly this problem last summer in Marsa Alam. Tried all 7 adapters onboard with no luck. Sorted it out only after taking the oring from one adapter and installing it on another, which had a slightly different lip shape.
I usually carry my own adapter but on this trip I forgot it back home on a tank.

This isn't just a Red Sea problem. My November trip on AquaCat. I brought my own yoke adapters, their tanks were strictly yoke, the tanks at my dive station did not have pro valves. I blew 4 o-rings during the week. I came to the conclusion the ridge on my yoke adapter and the o-ring groove on the tanks I was using were not compatible. I donated a pair of o-rings from my SAD kit and had no more problems. I think what I was choosing between was a 014 or a 112 o-ring. They are both half inch inside diameter, but one is a skinny ring, the other noticeably thicker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom