Provincial organization for wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
what is the organization in BC that over sees the preservation and sfae keeping of the BC wrecks?

The Artificial Reef Society of BC puts the new wrecks in place for the diving public. The Underwater Archaeological Society of BC looks after historical wrecks.

The sad but true part is that nobody really does sad but true. But they all do in away but not in an official way. I think the ARSBC put them on the rec mapp and then from there nobody really does anything. Theres not much too do anyhow really. We clean the Mermaid as a club venue thats the Powell River Dive Club P.R.D.C. We also do not have the number of wrecks as other areas.
That is something I am going to look into first light.
Cheers
Derek

wolf eel:
The sad but true part is that nobody really does sad but true. But they all do in away but not in an official way. I think the ARSBC put them on the rec mapp and then from there nobody really does anything. Theres not much too do anyhow really. We clean the Mermaid as a club venue thats the Powell River Dive Club P.R.D.C. We also do not have the number of wrecks as other areas.
That is something I am going to look into first light.
Cheers
Derek

I believe Ian at Ocean Explorers looks after the Cape Breton and Saskatchewan at Nanaimo, Porpoise Bay Charters looks after the Chaudiere at Sechelt, and Earl at Abyssal lodge looks after the Columbia at Campbell River. By looking after, I mean checking the descent lines/buoys, checking the entry/exit points, etc.. If someone can verify this, I'd be interested to know. You would think it would be in the interest of dive operators both in terms of tourism and liability, if the wrecks are kept in good shape.

[lawofgravity I believe Ian at Ocean Explorers looks after the Cape Breton and askatchewan at Nanaimo, Porpoise Bay Charters looks after the Chaudiere at Sechelt, and Earl at Abyssal lodge looks after the Columbia at Campbell River. By looking after, I mean checking the descent lines/buoys, checking the entry/exit points, etc.. If someone can verify this, I'd be interested to know. You would think it would be in the interest of dive operators both in terms of tourism and liability, if the wrecks are kept in good shape.]

I would agree it is in their best interest but does any body officialy? I think that was the question as we do not have the amount of historic shipwrecks as the east coast. We all have many newly sunk Artificial reefs that should not require much up keep as of yet. And because of the locations and how they are sunk I think the only real body would be the ARSBC.
Derek

Having dived on the ships you both talk about. I know they were preped as a project of the ARSBC. But it sounds like you arew saying that different dive shops or clubs have the responsiblility of overseeing these ships by their own acceptance or otherwise

[GDI Having dived on the ships you both talk about. I know they were preped as a project of the ARSBC. But it sounds like you arew saying that different dive shops or clubs have the responsiblility of overseeing these ships by their own acceptance or otherwise]
Thats about it. I just dove the Malahate again and even though it has been mentioned on several dive shows for historic dives I still have not come across any real mention as to who takes care of her and her remains. A lot talk like they do but I never ever see anybody diving her. I just did about thirty five dives this year. And I rarley ever (twice) seen another diver. And to boot it's a nice dive site.

Cheers
Derek

I had the privilage of working with Bill Coltart from Pacific Pro in Comox this summer for the world freediving comps (Bill put together the scuba safety diver team). Anyways my point is that I belive Bill has something to do with the 737 they are attempting to get past the red tape so we can actually dive it. I think he is working with ARSBC an this but I could be erronious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom