Providenciales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Dive Provo
Keep your fingers crossed for good weather......Hurricane season......have trip insurance?

Ear infection.......fill a cap of hydrogen peroxide.......put a towel near your ear and lean your head over sideways and dump the HP in your ear. Wait 1-2 minutes till bubbles stop. Repeat a few times a day till gone. Works like a charm for me.....

Thank you very much for the suggestion! The infections seem to have cleared up really well. I saw an ENT when they kept getting worse and he had me on a regimen of a couple different kinds of ABX and drops a couple times a day. I got a clean bill of health on Wednesday and was diving Friday night and yesterday with no problems at all!

I do not have trip insurance. We're only going to be in T&C for what amounts to a long weekend. If we run into bad weather, I'll blow off the diving and use that as an excuse to return next year! I'm quite excited. I'm calling Dive Provo tomorrow and arranging for my diving (nothing like waiting until the last second!) and will let everyone know what my experience was like when I get back.

Kristopher

We've been to Provo 6 times but only dove on one occassion (we're newly certified). If you're in the mood for snorkeling, Smith's Reef is conveniently located near Turtle Cove and it is worth a try. Our favorite dinner locations are Annacoana (expensive but right on the water, nice atmosphere) , Coco Bistro and Magnolia (high on a hill overlooking Turtle Cove). Menu guide of some of the local dining places at link below:

2011 Providenciales Dining Guide

flamingo divers $130 for a two tank dive???????? there better be a happy ending after paying that much. you people are crazy.

Hi

Just got back from Provendenciales.

Did 3 Days (each 2 tanks) with Dive Provo.

They were professional enough with good boats, clean kit and competent dive guides. But it felt like a 'sausage machine'. There was very little personal attention and the owners have clearly been doing it too long as the Woman owner in particular cannot bear to smile or give a you warm welcome. You just feel like she is there to make sure the money gets taken properly.

The dive guides are mostly Brits - who are contracted and see it as a job rather than a privilege. One remarked that the perfect day would be to finish at lunchtime without an afternoon dive. His dive briefings reflected that attitude. They all sounded the same.

That may sound a little negative but I like my diving to feel special when I go somewhere new - and it just didn't. Also, like most things on T&C it was some of the most expensive diving I have done anywhere in the World.

That's the negative stuff. On the positive side we did six dives and saw sharks every time. The other fish were not as prolific as say Thailand or The Red Sea but plenty to see if you look. The visibility was good (around 50ft) and the safety was adequate. We dived West Caicos (which is a 75 minute boat ride) and Grace Bay (10 mins) and frankly saw the same things at both.

If I go back I will seek out a smaller friendlier operation I think

Cheers

Last edited:
Bathbiggles1,

That was essentially my experience with DiveProvo, too. The diving itself was fantastic, but the dive guides sucked. They plainly had no interest in being there or enjoying themselves. They made it abundantly clear that they had no interest in whether anyone even came back from the dives and that if you were diving with them as a "buddy", you were on your own. It honestly didn't phase me that much. I treated the diving as a solo dive and was very conservative, but the attitude sucked. I'm with you.....I'll be looking elsewhere when I go back down.

Kristopher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom