Providenciales - Trip/Operator Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbborromeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just returned from Turks and Caicos and would like to share my experiences of my dives in Provo. I was only able to dive for two days but my bottom time was very well spent.

Before going to Provo, I spent a good deal of time searching this and other boards in search of operator and dive site recommendations. My resort recommended that I use Big Blue Unlimited (www.bigblueunlimited.com ), which operates from the same marina that I used to get to the resort (which was on an outlying island). I hadn't found much information on Big Blue as an operator, but their credentials are very impressive.

As a dive operator, Big Blue Unlimited is the most professional, efficient, respectful operator I have been with. They treat divers like adults, letting us maximize our time underwater, and not limiting depth or bottom time as long as we dove within our certification limits. Furthermore, they are exceptionally well acquainted with the local waters, dive sites, and sea life within. Their goal is to provide the best diving experience possible, so they limit the number of divers they take out each day. They are a bit more expensive than the rest of the operators, but in my estimation, it was well worth the money for the quality service I got.

I equally enjoyed my dives in Provo, which included Northwest Point and French Cay. Each site was at least 45 minutes away, but I was rewarded with a great dive at each place we went (Black Forest, Thunderdome, G Spot, Double D). Apparently, there are two sites that get a bad reputation (Pine Cay or Grace Bay). Upon telling the Big Blue people that I heard those sites were just so-so, I was given a day's worth of heckling. I didn't make it on the day they dove those sites, but one of the people I in our dive group who went there on another day said that Pine Cay was exceptional with vis well over 100 feet. I guess it amounts to picking the right spot on the right day, which is something that Big Blue seems to have a very good handle on.

Thanks all!

Having dove French Cay, Northwest Point, West Caicos and Grace Bay I can tell you from first hand experience that Grace Bay is so-so at best. Can't comment on Pine Cay.

How are the water temps? I'll be in T&C in 2 weeks and wondering if I should take the 3mm or the 5mm. I was there last feb and I was cold in the 3mm. Diving with Fifi this time and looking forward to some glorious veg time on Grace Bay Beach.

wanderlustgal:
How are the water temps? I'll be in T&C in 2 weeks and wondering if I should take the 3mm or the 5mm. I was there last feb and I was cold in the 3mm. Diving with Fifi this time and looking forward to some glorious veg time on Grace Bay Beach.

I'm going to Provo from May 15th- 21st so I was also wondering if a 3mm is acceptable??? Thanks :D

Figure water temps in the mid to high 70's at that time of the year. You should also take into account how many dives you will be doing. I know for myself, multiple dives over consecutive days, my cold tolerance starts to drop.

I'll be doing multiple dives and night diving. Sounds like its the 5mm I'll pack. I seem to recall hitting a thermocline or two last we were there.

West Caicos and French Cay are really good dive sites, I dove with Caicos Adventures last month and I was fine in my 3mm full. My girlfriend also used her 3mm full and she was fine too and she is more prone to cold. It depends, there were some people who were diving with a 1mm shorty last month. A 3mm would be perfect in May I think but no one knows a person better than themselves so if you think youre prone to cold take the 5mm, probably better to be a little hot topside then cold underwater, although the water should be close to or around 80 by May.

I have a pinnacle 3mm (really feels like a 4mm) plus, I have 3mm gloves which should keep me warm. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom