Providenciales TCI Trip Report 4/1-4/8/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MagnaRyder2:
Good info on the report. My wife especially liked the lunch menu. You did open up a few questions, though.
Since a two-tank dive takes most of the day, do they offer a third dive for the day?
How did they handle requests for night dives?
My wife does better 60ft and up. Do they offer choices of which boat to take --
i.e. Grace Bay (shallower) or the deep walls?

And, for other than diving, did you explore the island? If so, how did you get around?
(I'm tempted to rent a car, but the cost is causing me to rethink the topic.)

We're leaving Saturday, June 4 and looking forward to the experience.

My wife and I rented a car. There is not a lot to see but we were staying in a condo and the car was great for going to the IGA. Food prices were pretty high and we just preferred to eat in the condo most of the time. Did take the car to both ends of the island (with the roads we probably shouldn't have). Remember they drive on the left side of the road there. Four wheel drive might be better but read the contract and mske sure you can go where you want to.

Mike

Y'all are so awesome! I am on the plane to T&C *tomorrow* (woo and HOO!) and I am definitely going to take some of your suggestions.

Booked three days of two tank dives with Dive Provo, which I hear is decent. I wish I were doing South Caicos, but that's life. Guess I'll just have to go back. :wink:

Watch out . . .some of the "four wheel drive" vehicles have the 4WD disconnected. Also be aware that some of the outlying roads are not a place to get stuck after dark (not dangerous per se just a long way from no where).

See my full report at tciforum.com under trip reports. There was no option for a 3rd dive but I think CA may do a 3 dive trip if requested. They do night dives once a week. We requested the new , big boat, not the smaller Hercules, you can ask about that. I heard the dives sites along Grace Bay are not too good though they may be shallower.

http://www.tciforum.com/showthread.htm?t=1309

Have Fun,

rad21

MagnaRyder2:
Good info on the report. My wife especially liked the lunch menu. You did open up a few questions, though.
Since a two-tank dive takes most of the day, do they offer a third dive for the day?

And, for other than diving, did you explore the island? If so, how did you get around?

MagnaRyder2:

MagnaRyder2,
where are you staying and are you diving with CA? My wife and I are coming down the 5th we're staying at the Sands and diving 6,7,8 hope to see you there can't wait!!!
tarheeldiver

Leaving on June 6th.
Staying at the Sands.
Diving with FiFi (CA).
;-}
(We spent tonight packing the dive gear. Yup, it still fits in the bags.)

Hey folks, I just got back from a week in Provo with Dive Provo. They were TERRIFIC. Very professional, friendly and helpful. I will definitely dive with them again.

I did many of the same sites listed above (Gully, Magic Mushroom)...couple thoughts that I will expand when I get a minute...

*More groupers than I have ever seen, anywhere
*I saw the biggest southern stingray I have EVER seen on Mushroom...probably nearly five feet across. WOW! Followed by a flock of snappers. I got a photo but wouldn't you know it, the one day my microdrive hit the skids. I'm going to try to reformat it
*Fabulous walls. Just fabulous. Pretty challenging dives, as you must watch your depth gauge at all times
* Visibility was better than I have ever seen, anywhere
* It was pretty sharky. Reef sharks, one nurse, all that good stuff.

We stayed at the Royal West Indies Resort, which was great, but a couple of drawbacks:
* We were on the third floor and there are no elevators...lots of fun hauling scuba gear up and down
* The beds were hard, really hard. I didn't sleep very well.
* That said, the landscaping was just lovely, the bar is right next to the pool and the beach, and the drinks are cheap - $5 for a generous pina colada. The restaurant on site is good as well.
* The resort is right on Grace Bay and the beach is lovely. Not many critters, tho, as it's a sand bottom out several hundred yards. I did see one large barracuda fairly close to shore while snorkeling.
* The air conditioning was GREAT! Also, there is a kitchen and laundry in each room, a major plus.

I kind of hate to be home! Will post more later. - Likelite

Turkey, ham, salami and Tuna were offered for lunch on the boat.

Can I get a sandwich without mayonnaise?!

hehe. People asking anything on this bbs. I guess it keeps me coming back.

Off to Provo for a week (RWI + CA) in about 60 hours. Yea!

Great write up! I'm headed to TCI the week before Christmas, so this really helped.

Back
Top Bottom