Providenciales TCI Trip Report 4/1-4/8/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Providenciales Turks and Caicos Trip report 4/1/05-4/8/05

I have uploaded my photos to my Scuba Board Member Gallery – Rescue Diver68

Getting There:
My husband and I booked a direct flight from Philadelphia to Provo on US Airways. The flight boarded and the doors were closed 10 minutes early only to wait on the tarmac for 50 minutes for our turn on the runway. No big deal though, after an adult beverage and a quick nap we were there in no time. Flight time was about 2 hrs & 50 minutes.

The cab ride to the hotel was $10. No matter how many passengers the cost was the same.

Much of the Provo is under construction with new resorts and condominiums. There are a few main roads, but most of the roads to the resorts remain unpaved. It’s a fairly flat island with many cactus and miles of amazing powdery white sandy beaches.

The hotel:
We chose to stay at the Comfort Suites since it was one of the less expensive hotels on the Island. We had read mixed reviews and thought we’d give it a try.

Rather than go in to long details (so we can get to the diving portion of this report) I’ll just give an abbreviated review of why we would not recommend this hotel (we would not stay at Comfort Suites TCI again).
Rating:
Condition of the Hotel- 3 Stars
Cleanliness- 3 Stars
Housekeeping- 4 Stars
Front desk Staff- 0 Stars
Bar Staff- 0 Stars

(Staff was rude and unhelpful)

Good things about Comfort Suites:
The Hotel is right next to Caicos Adventures Dive shop and the Dive Provo shop.
Close proximity to 4 restaurants within walking distance, Calico Jacks, Caicos Café, Barefoot Café, and 21 North. Also, there are many other shops nearby, and internet access by “bmobile” at the Ports of Call shopping centers.

Transportation around the Island
We found that there is a small bus called the “Gecko” that runs from 10 am until late at night. Walking isn’t really an option since the resorts and restaurants are very spread out. The traffic on the main road is a little crazy and there are few sidewalks. We wanted to see all we could of the Island. Between the Gecko bus and the Caicos Adventures dive bus we saw most of the resorts and restaurants. You can buy tokens or a pass for the Gecko bus and it runs to all of the resorts/restaurants on its route including Turtle Cove Marina. It was a great way to see a lot of the island and get to various places for dinner for less than taking a cab.

Food:
We had had dinner at the following restaurants:
(If you are visiting Provo in the future, remember to look at your check as many of the restaurants added gratuity in to the total bill)

Calico Jacks, Ports of Call- Good food, $$
Mango Reef, Royal West Indies Resort- Good food, $$$
Magnolia, Turtle Cove Marina – Great atmosphere, waaay overpriced for the food $$$$
Shark Bite Grill, Turtle Cove Marina- Good food $$
Hemingways, Sands Resort-Excellent food (favorite of everyone we talked to as well)$$$
Coyaba, Coral Gardens Resort- Good food, very expensive, nice atmosphere $$$$
Barefoot Café, Ports of Call- Fajita night, good food $$

Finally… the Diving:

We chose Caicos Adventures as our dive operator and they did not disappoint.
Each morning we boarded the Caicos Adventures bus and picked up divers from various resorts before heading for the Marina.

The staff was wonderful (Andy, Asa, Rich, Fifi) and really made the diving so much fun. Lunch each day was sandwiches from IGA with plenty water and something labeled Gatorade (I don’t know what it really was).

We left our gear on the boat each day and it was well taken care of by the CA staff. It was rinsed and all set up each day. CA switched tanks for us between dives as well. I cannot say enough about the stellar service provided by Caicos Adventures.

Since the Caicos Cat was still being repaired and the new Catamaran not delivered yet, our trips were aboard the Caicos Adventures Hercules if there was a small group (10 or less). Hercules is a very fast boat and got to the sites quickly (warning, hold on tight if Fifi drives). We knew about the boat situation prior to going to Provo thanks to the message board.

On days that there were more than 10 divers, Caicos Adventures rented boats from other Dive OP’s. One day we used the Provo Turtle Divers Boat “Chucks Honey” (caution, no bananas allowed on this vessel). It was a 42’ Newton and was quite spacious. The only drawback was that the engines were very loud and the diesel fumes were overwhelming.
They also used a boat from Dive Provo “Provo Crusader” on two days and it was great. It appears as though all three of these dive op’s are quite friendly with one another. We would recommend either Caicos Adventures or Dive Provo to anyone.

Caicos Adventures has guided dives, but you are free to go on your own if you prefer. They allow you to dive your computer and do their best to see some sharks on each dive.
All of the dives were as follows.
Anchor in the sand near the wall drop off.
Giant stride in and fin to the wall.
Go over the wall and down to about 80 or so and swim against the current (mild if any at all).
When someone's gas gets down to 1500 psi the group will turn around and go to the top of the wall back towards the boat at a leisurely pace. The top of walls had tons of reef and critters. The walls themselves could be fairly void of life if no sharks appear.

Most had plenty of air and bottom time to finish their dives searching for critters around where the boat is anchored up to about 50 minutes total bottom time.
The walls were very dramatic and covered in assorted sheet corals and gorgonians.
Visibility was always about 50- 80 feet.
The Coral looked healthy but did not have the brilliant color like Cozumel. There was plenty of fish life and things to see.

The dives:
West Caicos
Magic Mushroom:
Max Depth 116 feet (only because we were watching several reef sharks)
Reef Sharks, Puffer Fish, Barracuda, Indigo Hamlets and the usual tropical critters.

Boat Cove:
Max Depth 77 feet
Reef Sharks, Flying Gunards, Southern Stingrays, Peacock Flounder, Eels, Jaw fish.

Driveway:
Max Depth 90 feet
Awesome Spawning barrel sponges, Large Spotted Drum, Reef Sharks, Groupers

Rock Garden:
Max Depth 71 feet
Atlantic Spade Fish, Reef Sharks, Lobsters, Groupers

Rivera Reef:
Max Depth 77 feet
Awesome walls, Reef Sharks, Groupers

The Gulley:
Max Depth 87 feet
Giant Barrel Sponges, Pillar Coral, Reef Sharks, Groupers

Spanish Anchor:
Max Depth 88 feet
Large Anchor wedged in wall of Swim through from the 1600’s,
Thousands of Fairy Basslets along wall.

French Cay
G Spot:
Max Depth 86 feet
Giant Elephant Ear Sponges, Black Coral, Reef Sharks, Spotted Drum, Groupers

Rock n Roll:
Max Depth 77 feet

Southwest Reef
Southwest One:
Max Depth 77 feet
We briefly saw a Hammerhead Shark (10-12ft), Groupers

Eagle Ray Pass:
Max Depth 81 feet
School of Puffers, Burr Fish, Balloon Fish, Groupers

In summary, we enjoyed our trip and the diving in Provo . I now understand why when people ask how Providenciales compares to other dive destinations such as Cozumel that the answers vary. Diving in Provo is different than Cozumel, Fl Keys, Grand Cayman, etc and has its own appeal. While it does not have the color or stellar visibility of other destinations, it does have awesome walls and enormous dramatic corals. The shark encounters are worth the trip alone.

I have uploaded my photos to my Scuba Board Member Gallery – Rescue Diver68

Rescue Diver68,

Thanks for posting the trip report and photos, we are headed to TCI in 3 weeks and diving with CA. I hope the new boat is in service. I will report back after we return.

Great trip report. Thanks.

i think the new boat is a 54' and will be going out for the 1st time this weekend, please give us a report when you get back, i am trying to go again in late june.
mike

Hi Mako1,

How did you find out about the new boat status? I emailed CA this week and never got a reply back.

Thanks

mako1:
i think the new boat is a 54' and will be going out for the 1st time this weekend, please give us a report when you get back, i am trying to go again in late june.
mike

rad21:
Hi Mako1,

How did you find out about the new boat status? I emailed CA this week and never got a reply back.

Thanks

I CALLED! my wife like fifi and company so much that when i told her about the new boat she said we might be able to swing another trip in june!!!
mike

Can't wait for the trip report. I always wondered if the diving/fish life was different in the summer.

Bringing this back to the Top for RICH in NC.

Caicos Adventures Diving May 20-22nd

Yes, the new boat is in service and is excellent. Fifi has got to be one of the nicest dive boat operators that I have met. His boat is immaculate, the crew handles your gear from the time you get on the bus in the morning until the day you leave. They wash your gear, set up your gear. The head was clean and spacious and the boat has ample storage for dive gear so there are never fins, gear bags or wetsuits cluttering the boat. I blew an O ring on my computer’s quick disconnect (my bad, I forgot to turn off and purge my air before disconnecting it) and the next morning Fifi repaired it and would not take a penny from me for the repair. The divemasters were excellent, they did not limit anyones dive time or depth and were the most helpful crew I have ever met.
I would definitely dive with Caicos Adventures again. There were only 6 divers on the boat. Plenty of shade, a sun deck up front and the boat was fast and stable with plenty of room to move about, I loved the boat design and layout. Fifi is so proud of his boat and his pride of ownership shows. Turkey, ham, salami and Tuna were offered for lunch on the boat.

Diving was okay but the walls start deeper than Little Cayman so on a 2 tank dive, our depth was around 85 feet on the first dive and 75-80 feet on the second dive. I prefer shallower walls for longer dives and more ambient light for photos. The reefs were in excellent shape but the fish life was not abundant during my dives. We saw a turtle, some sharks, a large spotted drum, lobsters, grouper and beautiful coral.Visibility was not as good as Little Cayman or Cozumel during my dives
Overal the diving was good although the boat rides are long to get to the dive sites and a 2 tank dive trip takes a good part of the day. The walls were in excellent shape but as I mentioned, the walls start much deeper than Little Cayman. I would rate the diving between Grand Cayman and Little Cayman, Little Cayman being my favorite caribbean dive destination.

Dive Sites that we visited:
Tons of Sponge
Gully
Boat Cove
Magic Mushroom
G spot
Rock n Roll

Good info on the report. My wife especially liked the lunch menu. You did open up a few questions, though.
Since a two-tank dive takes most of the day, do they offer a third dive for the day?
How did they handle requests for night dives?
My wife does better 60ft and up. Do they offer choices of which boat to take --
i.e. Grace Bay (shallower) or the deep walls?

And, for other than diving, did you explore the island? If so, how did you get around?
(I'm tempted to rent a car, but the cost is causing me to rethink the topic.)

We're leaving Saturday, June 4 and looking forward to the experience.

Back
Top Bottom