Protune Raw White balance files color correcting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bastard Pink! Interesting choice you wanted to kill those green tones? I gauged there was a bit of magenta tint but looks pleasing overall and very deep blues

Another SB member suggested that color many years ago. It works well. You can bring the deep blues in editing. Let's make this the last post about filters in this thread please.

Key topic is the protune raw wb mode and how well the flat coloring works in editing.

great videos ron, that eel was a little fiesty lol. I wish I could get my background to be as dark blue as your clips come out. Even with protune on and my w/b set to raw I can't get it to look like that. Job well done!

Boost the contrast to enhance the blue water and other colors in general. If you post a clip, I can try to play with it to see if I can improve the colors.

I did not use a stabilizer in editing. It's tough to keep this little camera steady. I use an Ultralight triple clamp and two arms. Already had the arms as part of my old lighting system. Just had to buy the clamp and GoPro tripod mount. Works well, folds nicely when not shooting. Clamp allows adjusting arms to fit the shot. Neutral buoyancy of the whole system is key. I still have to change my shooting style as I used shoot a lot of moving shots with my big old system. It's too difficult to do with the GoPro as you can see by the excess movement in most of the video.

I was on the Dancer Liveaboard. Great boat and service. They really spoil you.

Yeah, that eel was a little aggressive. I am used having a big housing to ward off aggressive animals. The GoPro did not give me much to work with.

Could have swallowed it
I looked at going with the same boat some time in May Belize does look interesting also in terms of land activities with the maya ruins but then changed the plan to Grenada as wanted to go around easter because of work reasons
The water is incredibly clear how was the fish life?

The water visability was actually a little low. I estimate around 40-50 ft for the week on average. You can see a lot of particulate in the water in the whole video.

Belize on a liveaboard is my favorite diving in the Caribbean. The reef and corals are very healthy. Probably due to low diver traffic since most of the sites are only dove by the liveaboard boats. Can't say the same for other liveaboards in the Caribbean. Fish life was slightly off compared to my last trip, but we could have just been unlucky. There is debate on how much the lionfish have affected things. One thing for sure, Belize has the biggest sponges I have ever seen.

Yes I see some floating items but it is nothing compared to Indonesia looks better in your video I guess that is a good thing when the clip look good although at the time it didn't seem that good
Sponges and reef look very good, some features in your video are nice as well like the stingray turtle and barracuda
I wonder if the viz had to do with the time you went? Still seems like a good holiday to do

I am still learning Adobe Premiere. Using basic curves on most shots changing only brightness and contrast on the master channel. No changes to the individual color channels. Haven't figured out how to properly use the color correction. It's different than in Vegas and the results show.

great job Ron, thanks for sharing.

Yes Belize Wall dives are stunning with the views going off into the deep blue.

I'm curious as to "why" your switch to Premiere, from Vegas? I'm a Vegas user myself, and started (tried to learn?) Premiere, so I went the opposite direction of editing software than you. I like Vegas, though it still has a learning curve.

Like you Ron, I try to do little or no post color correction, other than slight brightness/contrast............unless you're really wanting to save a poorly exposed shot, like your wife/barrel sponge, the colors can get too faked/pink/blown out too quick.

The RAW and Protune is still something I need to play with, regardless of filter type.

Around your 3:28 mark I think, with the diver / ray in the shallows eel grass, The blues of her fins and yellows Sausage and Octo get really pushed extreme, which is what I've experienced with my Fantasea Bluewater Filter on my 55mm backscatter housing. Regardless of filter type, keeping the sun behind you really helps keep an even tone, as my yellows get blown out even remotely shooting into the sun at shallow 15-20 foot depth. Just curious, was that with RAW or Auto-whitebalance if you remember (don't both looking up the meta-file data, just curious)

While the Lee filter or other internal gel is an option for many, (used Alex Mustards gel for years) I really don't like using internal filters as you're stuck with them during the dive regardless of macro or wide, supplemental lighting or not.

Hence why I'm a fan of threaded screw on, or pop on/off filters regardless of mfr.

Everyone Shoot what works for you, and is fun to do......the RAW option I believe takes away any in-camera software color correction/softening/compression.

thanks again for sharing your protune and raw balance, and it's nice for everyone to keep the OP on-topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom