Protune Raw White balance files color correcting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just starting to get my video files into the editor.

The protune raw white balance files with their flat color work well in editing color correction.

Did a quick adjustment to contrast and brightness and came up with this. Still a little dark, but colors are coming in nicely.

[vimeo]57427086[/vimeo]

What editing software are you using and camera settings I thought that looked great ..

I wonder if RAW white balance means the camera white balances is set to a fixed point?
If that is the case this would be probably better than a poorly implemented auto white balance for the gopro
Like saying it does not do something very well might as well disable it?

I just started using Adobe Premiere. Was a Sony Vegas user for many years. The camera settings were 2.7k protune on raw white balance.

Here is my 1st draft Belize video. Still have to fine tune the color, brightness, contrast and general clean up. Some of the clips are 1080 protune off, auto white balance. Wish I could go back and shoot them with the other settings. The camera definitely has it's faults and limitations, but I am very impressed.

I believe protune raw wb compresses the video less and minimizes the wb swings. Whatever it is, it works well. Now I just have to practice holding this little thing steady and how best to shoot with the overly wide field of view.

[vimeo]57434246[/vimeo]

Last edited:
Looks great! I haven't fiddled around any with Protune - do you have an option on post editing to adjust individual color curves? (i.e. bump up the red channel, adjust the blue)

Ron is the lady at 2:40 with protune auto? She looks a bit purple though that may be the ronscuba filter? Hahahha
I never ask you did you drop in an old filter or cut a sheet of lee or rosco?
Belize conditions look perfect for the gopro and your experience shows even with a tiny camera like this
Have you stabilised the clip at all yet?

I am still learning Adobe Premiere. Using basic curves on most shots changing only brightness and contrast on the master channel. No changes to the individual color channels. Haven't figured out how to properly use the color correction. It's different than in Vegas and the results show.

Around 2:40 there are 2 clips of my wife and two large barrel sponges. Shot without a filter, late in the day, deep, protune on, raw wb. This was my attempt at color correction in Adobe. Not pretty, but I wanted the huge sponges in the video. Still have to mess around with these 2 clips. Nothing stabilized.

I use a Lee gel filter. Cut it myself. $7 for a 21"x24" sheet. You can cut over 400 filters from a sheet that size.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom