Proton 12 Metal Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can you use up to 40% nitrox in this regulator wright out of the box?
And how does this regulator compare with your high end regs far as breathing at depth and colder water?( not ice diving)
I know that your proton 42 hose routing is better but does it perform that much better.
I like the simple straight forword design of proton 12 and the price is more in line with our budget.

Can you use up to 40% nitrox in this regulator wright out of the box?
And how does this regulator compare with your high end regs far as breathing at depth and colder water?( not ice diving)
I know that your proton 42 hose routing is better but does it perform that much better.
I like the simple straight forword design of proton 12 and the price is more in line with our budget.

Yes, any Mares reg can be used with nitrox mixes up to 40%.

The MR12 Proton achieved a US Navy Class "A" rating. This means that it will meet the needs of a rapidly swimming diver breathing very heavily at 198fsw. Any regulator that achieves an "A" rating will easily exceed what a recreational diver can throw at it.

Yes, for single tank diving, the Mares 22, 32, and 42 first stages do have better hose routing. The MR12 works, but not as "cleanly" as the other designs. If you dive in a wet suit, and don't use a SPG radio transmitter, then it is far less "cluttered". My wife has been using her MR12 Proton with a single tank for three years, and she has no complaints. That said, I use MR12 first stages on my doubles. I use two MR16/V16
and a single V42 for my single tank diving needs.

The MR12 is extremely reliable, and has relatively few parts compared to many other balanced diaphragm regs on the market. The new tri-material HP valve cured the only legitimate gripe of the Mares first stages. I have yet to replace one in any of my several Mares regs after two years of service. With the old style valves, I was fortunate to get 50-75 hours of service. Several dive buddies also use the tri-material valves, and they have yet to replace one.

As far as pricing goes, the MR12 Proton is an excellent value.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom