Protocol for discovery dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is very much correct, here one instructor per DSD and other instructors are in the water for guiding the other divers.

When we do dsd's we only allow the students in the shallow end of the pool in 4ft of water in the hr they are in the pool they do the skills of clearing their mask reg recovery breathing switching from reg to Octo inflating and deflating bc as well as snorkel use and clearing. Once all skills have been shown we do circuits of figure 8's (swim 1/2 pool on surface using snorkel then switch to reg and swim second half using reg at bottom of pool)all this is done in 4 ft of water it sounds boring but it keeps all students safe and allows them to try it and if they still enjoy it then they pay for the course

The PADI standards?
Yes, for sure, but I think the standards at that level are similar across agencies. Can't check just now.

My first time was a Discovery dive in Cabo, my family and I chartered a boat for the day and organized with a dive shop for them to join us for the first part for the dive. There were 8 of us, and were split 3,3,2 between 3 instructors. On the boat ride out they explained the basic concepts. When it came time for the dive we went in group by group, did our tests 1 by 1. (Pull reg out throw it back, flood mask and clear it) and then we were on our way. Really smooth, amazing experience. We all were treading water for a while waiting for everyone to get in so it helped us acclimate to the regulator and stuff. I think that helped.
3 of us went back the next day for another round. since the instructors remembered us we skipped the steps and went straight into it.

OP-I can tell you for definite If I tried to drop an unqualified diver into more than shoulder deep water (being generous)
With NO training I would get my backside kicked for days--as a minimum.
The "discover" scuba dive is broken into three distinct but merging steps.
First is just seeing if they are comfortable breathing underwater.So standing up face in the water.Then laying down and basicly snorkel diving on the surface. Then down to 700mm underwater. At each stage ensuring they are comfortable.
After a few minutes swimming around the group is gathered together and you ask the questions.-Are you having fun???
Would you like to do a dive in the sea? (deeper water if at the beach)
For those that say yes
You then work on the most basic of dive skills -still in shallow water.
Mask flood and clear.,Regulator recovery. regulator swap.share air.
Then usually a bit more of a swim around to keep it fun.
Then again you ask the question.-Who wants to go out and do a "real" dive?
MO its really important to choose a dive site with not only lots to see in the 7-11m range but also that dive conditions are as near to perfect as possible.
The new diver is slowly "walked" hand over hand down the mooring line to allow equalisation and for them to start to relax.
The instructor is within grabbing distance at all times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom